Best savings account?

Tandem is up to 3.50% on their instant access account but part of it is just a bonus.

Also seem to be a something of a weird company. Not sure I'd want to d business with them. Reminds me of Kodak, just pivoting towards anything that can get in the news or seen as trendy.

New tax year, new ISA available :)

Moneybox S&S ISA opened and transfer applied for my (now poor return) Vanguard S&S ISA.
Which Vanguard S&S ISA holdings were you invested in?

I've split my investments between LS 60% and S&P500 and last 12 months have seen, unsurprisingly, negative returns but still at 17.44% over last 3 year period.

Which Vanguard S&S ISA holdings were you invested in?

I've split my investments between LS 60% and S&P500 and last 12 months have seen, unsurprisingly, negative returns but still at 17.44% over last 3 year period.

Nothing, I'm using them for cash holdings in a S&S account :) Vanguard were offering a cash interest rate equivilent to the BoE rate, but have since dropped it to 2%. Moneybox continue to offer 3.25%.

It's my mortgage overpayment credit, so it stays away from shares.

For my actual investments, I'm using the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap

Nothing, I'm using them for cash holdings in a S&S account :) Vanguard were offering a cash interest rate equivilent to the BoE rate, but have since dropped it to 2%. Moneybox continue to offer 3.25%.

It's my mortgage overpayment credit, so it stays away from shares.

For my actual investments, I'm using the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap
Ahh ok. Understood. I've never even considered interest in cash holdings but I probably should as I do have several hundred in Vanguard.

Setup the NatWest 6% savings account. Can only add £150 a month, so figure I’ll start now. Enjoying the 5% on the Barclays blue rewards too. Free money, instant access to savings. May as well now rates are on the up. When rates go back down I’ll just spend it all. Probably outperforming some of my investments at the moment.

Last edited:
Didn't bother with any of the "high interest" accounts that were on offer a while ago. As CaptainRAVE says, its a crazy rate but you only earn about £2 because its capped at a silly rate.

Currently I am getting 3.33% with a bank called Kroo. Should be a nice bit extra each month.

Setup the NatWest 6% savings account. Can only add £150 a month, so figure I’ll start now. Enjoying the 5% on the Barclays blue rewards too. Free money, instant access to savings. May as well now rates are on the up. When rates go back down I’ll just spend it all. Probably outperforming some of my investments at the moment.
I have had that one for about 9 months and it's getting close to 2K now. Since the increase to a 5K cap I turned double roundups turned on so I get about £100 extra in a month atop the monthly deposit and a tenner from interest.
Didn't bother with any of the "high interest" accounts that were on offer a while ago. As CaptainRAVE says, its a crazy rate but you only earn about £2 because its capped at a silly rate.

Currently I am getting 3.33% with a bank called Kroo. Should be a nice bit extra each month.
At a bare minimum it's ~£60 a year, £120 next. I also have first direct regular saver which at 7%, £300pm is £136. These accounts are designed for savings from monthly paychecks rather than a lump sum you have.

hmmm interesting thought (or not) if when our lad was 17 and 10 months and i was worried he was in no way mature enough to handle 1000s going his way........ i presume i could open a 5 year atom account in his name and put it all in there? (sure he could take a massive penalty taking it out but IF he was foolish enough to do that i would tell him he is (financially) on his own from then on.
An update on this for you - I've just tried to transfer my son's JISA into an account with better returns for it's last 2 years, and the original provider is refusing to accept the transfer request because my signature doesn't match the signature I signed 16 years ago when opening the account.

I've now got who knows how many hoops to jump through if I want to get the transfer done.

My lloyds and first direct savers are probably doing better than my S&S too

Back
Top Bottom