Best spray for cleaning old circuit boards & contacts.

Soldato
I wonder if any electronics people could help on this.

I have 2 Taito original Space Invader machines (1979) I'm reconditioning. They have sat not used for around 15 years.

Inside they look very intact, however there is 'dust & dirt' stuck to the PCBs and components (legs of chips etc).

Could someone recommend a cleaner I can use to spray the boards down. I'm looking for something that would clean this dirt off.

I have already cleaned the gold edged PCB board connectors with Electrolube ULL (see link below), however my can has run out. I was about to purchase more, then wondered if there was something better for cleaning the actual boards.

http://www.electrolube.com/docs/lubricantmain.asp?id=72

Cheers for any advice
Jason

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I used this to clean boards and brush it with toothbrush :).

Thanks for reply.

What is the name of that product, I can't read it from the tin.

I did not really want to brush the PCB's down (to harse). Was looking more for something that would run down the PCB's taking dirt with it. The PCB's on the invader sit vertically.

Soldato
IPA is the professional solution for cleaning electronic boards, so stick to it ;).

It will get a fair bit of dirt off by itself, but as suggested a short paint brush would be better (i.e. short strands from holder).

Like this

L8LQC.jpg

Also you may want to get a solder iron and some tin/lead solder /w flux, depending on the condition of the boxes you may have some dry joints that need tidying up on the boards. Just make sure you wipe the joints down with the IPA once you're done.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for advice, I have ordered some the IPA 170. I have some soft brushes used for camera lens cleaning, so may use one of these.

Question. Is IPA 170 suitable for actual contact cleaning? I thinking of the PCB edge connectors here.

The ULL Electrolube I posted was excellent for contact cleaning, should I order more of this (my ULL Electrolube can is empty), or is IPA 170 suitable for contact cleaning also.

Edit: Just found Servisol Aero Klene 50 Electronic Cleaning Solvent, this is for dry electronic contacts, looks like this is suitable for gold connections.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not just get some isopryl alcohol from the chemist - should suit all your puroposes. Chemist will sell it in a fairly large size - which goes a long way.

Mark

Soldato
OP
An experts on arcade games reading, need help to fix!

299650_269359409743229_100000075173736_1181264_7049159_n.jpg

Tried to get one of the machines going.

I'm posting this in the change someone reading has experience of fixing these machines.

This machine unfortunately does not work correct.

1) Switching on I have a constant centre white line from the tube.
2) Both 110v fluorescent tubes are NOT working, this is confusing as the same 110v rail powers the tube (CRT).
3) Constant loud hum from the speaker.
4) The stepper counter can be heard clicking when the microswitch for the 10p coin mech is manually pressed.

Checked and cleaned fuses all fine. CPU boards removed and cleaned with Servisol IPA 170 prior, waited for boards to dry. No smoke and no burning can be seen. There was an odd hum from the tube when first switching on.

Really hoping someone reading has experience of fixing these things, bit of a long shot, but any help most appreciated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom