• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best stop gap card till new cards come out

Associate
I've assembled a PC with the following specs:
Cpu: amd ryzen 7 270x
Board: Asus hero VII
Ram: team group 32gb
Psu: SuperFlower 850W
Case: Corsair obsidian 1000d
Gpu: undecided
Monitor: dell ultrasharp 3008wfp
Keyboard: Razer Huntsman elite
Mouse: razer deathadder
Hdd: SSD 250gb samsung

The final build would be water-cooled but sticking to air cooled for the next 6-8 months or so. Will be looking to upgrade the monitor when alienware or LG come out with their new offering. In the mean time, what graphics card would you guys suggest to last me a year, maybe more that could find its way into a secondary build later on. I've been out of pc gaming for a long time and just coming back so would appreciate your advice. Amd has some cracking deals but would I benefit from a higher investment and use the card longer or a basic best value card now and see how the RTX pans out?

Soldato
I’m using a second hand 1080, it’s great for 3440x1440. But if I’m being honest I think I’d have been wiser to get one of the cheaper AMD cards.

Associate
I would say get the 2nd hand GPU, possibly the 970 or 290
Both could be had for around £100- and can still play any game at 1080p, good stop gap whilst waiting for the 7mn cards.
If you want to buy new I would say the 570/580

Soldato
Give your current monitor is 2560x1440, I would say get on the RX 580's that are on offer only £199, and you get £100 worth of decent/good games with it, and it will play a lot of titles at your native resolution at 60fps+. :)

Associate
OP
Ok so now that I've missed the boat on the 580 and three games deal, the options after a lot of research are as under:

1. B GRADE Gigabyte vega 56 - 299 pounds
2. Powercolor Vega 56 with 3 games - 349 pounds
3. 580 for 199 pounds

The 2nd option is very tempting. What do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom