Best thing to do with old hardware?

Soldato
I just upgraded my PC and have some components left over from my 10 year old build. I don't think they're worth anything. What can I do with them? I don't really just want to bin them.

1. Intel Core i5 750 2.66Ghz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156)
2. Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
3. OCZ Obsidian 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 Dual Channel (OCZ3OB1600LV4GK)
4. Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800)
5. XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
6. Lian Li PC-V351B Aluminium Cube Case - Black (No PSU) *Bare Shell*
7. Scythe Ninja Mini Rev. B

What do you guys do with your old stuff?

Thanks.

Soldato
I keep an amount of old stuff around for fault testing and such. Basic graphics cards especially are useful. But otherwise I'd sell stuff on the bay or MM. For someone it will be an upgrade! I know I scraped my way up from old office PCs, through old second hand hardware and onto better second hand stuff. So there's probably a kid someone hoping to spend his Christmas money!

Soldato
I just built a new rig from scratch, the old one’s been cleaned up and given a new case and a fresh windows install.

My intention is to use it for emulation and for streaming Steam games from the proper PC to the big TV downstairs...

Edit: you could always bung a load of storage on it and use it for an HTPC...?

Associate
The standard answers are

- PC for the missus/kids to play The Sims on and do general day to day office type work
- Home Server
- Home Theatre PC (HTPC)

The HTPC idea has mostly died away now though, with the likes of the Fire TV Sticks etc - but it's still an option. A PC for the missus/partner/kids can make sense if you have a partner who would want one and doesn't already have a PC/laptop, so that's situational.

A home server can still be a very good idea though if you have a use for it - a file server to keep noisy HDDs out of your quieter rooms, a Plex server, or a database/development server etc.

Otherwise, stick it on the Members Market or auction site and get a few quid towards your next build

I tend to try and keep at least one PSU, and Graphics Card around at all times, though - they're invaluable for testing. You can also keep a memory/motherboard/CPU for testing but they're only really helpful if they're compatible with your current PC. I find it's handy to keep one case too, so you can quickly build a test rig in it without ripping your entire PC apart.

Associate
It takes a bit of effort but I generally sell mine on an auction site. It's surprising how much some older stuff can be worth. Even if I'm break even after fees and postage I'm happy knowing it's going to get some use.

Associate
My old PC stuff usually goes onto the Members Market first & if there's no joy there the Auction site.

How successful would you say you find this?

I have always wondered why there isn't a recycle service type thing where you can send your old parts for a bit of cash, kinda like how they do with mobiles these days. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff they can strip out of them that's useful right?

Soldato
I would say fairly. I have put a fair bit of Hardware on the Members Market this year (as opposed to hardly anything in the three years prior to that) The way I see it as I'm doing my bit (if only a little) for the environment by 'Recycling' for want of a better word, instead of me disposing of them. OK I get paid 30-20-15% of what I bought for them new but as long as I get paid some money for them I'm happy & the working bits go to a new home. The only bits I couldnt sell this year were some old SATA Hard drives which went to the Recycle Centre up the road from me (after being DBaned 3 times) With hindsight I could've gone to some PC Hardware pawnbrokers & got paid for them that way. The thing is thinking about it at the time when all you want to do is declutter & someone is nagging for you to do so toutsuite! :D;):p

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Still a fairly capable PC in my opinion, you can just buy a cheap sata SSD - put windows on it and use it for day to day small tasks. If you have other people in your household who don't require something powerful and upto date (like a child) it'll be good enough for them. All you need is a cheap ssd and a cheapish PSU and you're good to go!

If you dont require another PC at all then you're best bet is to just sell it off on the MM or somewhere else

Back
Top Bottom