Best to upgrade now or wait a while for new hardware ?

Associate
Hey guys

PC is basically only used for web browsing and gaming.

I upgraded in March to a ryzen 9 3900x at base clock at 3.80 ghz
16 gb ram at 3200 mhz ddr 4
and a 2080 super graphics card, im thinking on going for a top level 3000 series graphics chip when they release and also upping the ram to 32gb to keep up with the the upcoming consoles

would that cpu go alright with a newer gpu ? or cause a bottleneck

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html

i game on that monitor at 2560 x 1440

Soldato
Memory upgrade is certainly sensible for having enough RAM to keep web browsers etc open on background with any game.
Only 16GB in the first place was really low end for rest of the parts.

But unless having more money than knowing what to do with, there's no sense to upgrade CPU fast.
Later when Zen3 prices have stabilized there's more sense in that, if you want to keep base platform for long time.
(What mobo you have? Only MSI has Zen3 support coming for B450/X470)

Also with all you guys already lining up and bending over with bank account in one hand and lube in other it's doubfull Nvidia is going to have good pricing.
AMD's true high end aiming big Navi is probably going to have good amount better performance per money.
And probably performs pretty similar to anything Nvidia has, unless Nvidia brings out another 600+ to 700mm2 chip.

Associate
OP
i know its hated here, i have a rog strix b450 f gaming mobo, graphics card is the msi super ventus 2080 super, im thinking i should be ok on the cpu front, any idea when the last gen, 4 series of amd chips are coming out ? im definetely thinking on changing the gpu come october time, more memory and GPU give me a good boost ?

Soldato
(What mobo you have? Only MSI has Zen3 support coming for B450/X470)

Only MSI has confirmed support so far but I would be very suprised if other vendors don't follow suit, that said for anyone thinking of buying a B450 now then MSI is the way to go.

Soldato
i know its hated here, i have a rog strix b450 f gaming mobo
Not great chances for Zen3 support in that.

Losing sales to MSI is reason why I would expect others to announce plans for Zen3 support in pre-X570 boards.
Also with Asus B450 boards often pushed to buyers in bundles they probably aren't selling that well, making it further unlikely for Asus to spend effort on them.
After all they were money grabs to start with.

EDIT:
Asus is also the most reluctant for adding Zen3 support:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5X-8vZtml8&t=1434s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom