Best upgrade in preparation for....

Soldato
....Supreme Commander?

The demo of SupCom doesn't run too well on my PC once the skirmish gets around the mid game where I get framerates of around 15fps. I hear that the demo map is one of the smallest ones so I dread to think what a larger map will run like!

I have read that the game is best run on PCs with a duel core processor, would that be the reason its running so bad? What upgrades do you guys feel is necessary for me to run the game with framerates of 30+ in late game battles?

My PC spec is in the sig. Thanks :)

Associate
with the sheer no of on screen units running at any one time, all needing AI instructions ect, i think a better CPU might be in order.

Your gfx is pretty good, my X1950pro does well in Supreme Commander, i'll try and get a screenie with a FPS measure running to see how well i do, but it doesnt seem bad (my spec in sig). Shame you cant run it as a benchie!

Its great getting back in to the TA style of play, totally different resource management to any other RTS! And the battles are amazing, had an Enemy Monkeylord come trampling through 2 layers of fully upgraded shields and tier 2 perimeter defenses, painstakingly assembled over the course of half an hour, destroy half an army of tanks, before getting ass wouped by my battleship's heavy cannons.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply!

So, a new CPU then? There are only three S939 x2 CPUs on overclockers and I am thinking of the 4200+ which I will hopefully clock it to 2.8GHz. It will be running at the same speed but will the extra core make that much difference?

Anyone else? Thanks.

Soldato
OP
I have been looking at the Intel Core 2 Duo chips everyone seems to be banging on about and I might upgrade to one, namely the E6600 as they seem like good overclockers.

Here are a list of things that I might buy:

- Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
- Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
- GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

Does this look good? This will be my first Intel based system and I have not used DDR2 ram before so I need help on what stuff I need to buy.

Another thing.... My Graphics card should be able to run SupCom at resolutions of 1280x1024 easily shouldn't it? I'm reluctant to upgrade the graphics as its not been long since I bought it.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks.

Why would you recommend the cheaper RAM? I do plan on overclocking the E6600 so am I right in thinking the more expensive stuff should cope with the overclock much better?

Associate
With that motherboard you can unlink the memory, so it shouldn't limit the CPU, FSB, PCIE, GPU, or any other overclock.

Basically you leave the memory at stock, OC the CPU as far as it will go, and push up the memory speeds separately.

Back
Top Bottom