Best value for money 1TB SSD??

Soldato
I've run out of space on my 250GB Samsung SSD and am looking to upgrade to a 1TB drive to replace it.

I've had Samsung and Crucial SSD's in the past and haven't had any issues but I'm not sure how the drives from Kingston, Intel, Sandisk and Western Digital stack up!

Any suggestions for the generally regards "best bang for buck"?? (the cheapest appears to be the Sandisk that can be had for circa £219 - is it worth the extra £60-£70 for the Samsung 850 Evo for example?)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, this is my thought process to be honest!

It's generally just so I can install all of my Steam/uPlay/Origin games on the SSD as opposed to running them off a mechanical drive! It's not as if I'm going to notice a 25% difference in write speed I don't think!

Thanks for the reply!

Soldato
You might notice a faster install I guess, and possibly load times but as has been said, it's harder to see a perceivable difference between a decent SATA SSD vs the top of the range (NVME super fast ones).

Caporegime
For most users the difference between the best and worse SSD won't make much if any noticeable difference in their general use.
Yeah I'm not sure about that. There are some really bad SSDs on the market now. The push for cheaper and cheaper SSDs has resulted in *some* TLC SSDs that have worse performance than mechanicals, depending on usage scenario.

Soldato
Yeah I'm not sure about that. There are some really bad SSDs on the market now. The push for cheaper and cheaper SSDs has resulted in *some* TLC SSDs that have worse performance than mechanicals, depending on usage scenario.
A TB SSD with worse performance than mechanical?

Small ones can be sketchy not even including the emmc stuff on tablets but large capacity ones with bad numbers?

Associate
Have be planning to swap my two drives to one 1TB Samsung SSD for a few months now.

Keep checking to see it it's included in the weekly offers and haven't noticed it yet. I nkow that I'll just bite the bullet one evening, purchase it and the following week it'll be on offer!

Looking forward to a clean install and loosing the clutter I seem to build up over time :)

Associate
I'm in the same situation and wish I had bought a Sandisk Ultra II 960GB when they where £150 or so back in April last year. The market/Brexit/Trump/aliens has affected the prices badly and I'm waiting for the prices to fall again, mainly because I want 2 of them to RAID 0.

Associate
I'm in the same situation and wish I had bought a Sandisk Ultra II 960GB when they where £150 or so back in April last year. The market/Brexit/Trump/aliens has affected the prices badly and I'm waiting for the prices to fall again, mainly because I want 2 of them to RAID 0.

I just carried out a Google for the one I'm currently watching/interested in that's available from OcUK and I see it for sale for £60 less from a number of others sites/sellers. :confused:

Might be biting the bullet a lot sooner!!

Caporegime
I just carried out a Google for the one I'm currently watching/interested in that's available from OcUK and I see it for sale for £60 less from a number of others sites/sellers. :confused:

Might be biting the bullet a lot sooner!!
Trouble is they could get more expensive before they get cheaper. Who knows where the pound will end up after March.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a 1TB 850 Evo, even tho it's £100 more expensive than in the summer :( Because it could get even worse in a few months from now.

Associate
Trouble is they could get more expensive before they get cheaper. Who knows where the pound will end up after March.

I'm going to pull the trigger on a 1TB 850 Evo, even tho it's £100 more expensive than in the summer :( Because it could get even worse in a few months from now.

Having seen the prices (£289 being the best) from other sellers, I'm very tempted to do the same come the end of this month. As you've said, hovering over the buy button could become more expensive as each month passes.

Associate
Having seen the prices (£289 being the best) from other sellers, I'm very tempted to do the same come the end of this month. As you've said, hovering over the buy button could become more expensive as each month passes.

Buy it and do not look at the prices after you install it - one way to avoid buyer's remorse if an offer did come along after!

Associate
Buy it and do not look at the prices after you install it - one way to avoid buyer's remorse if an offer did come along after!

Doesn't look like that'll be the case, it's already gone up by £10. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it's back to the previous price just in case they up the prices come the weekend :p

Regardless, I'll be popping in and purchasing one by the end of play tomorrow.

Caporegime
Doesn't look like that'll be the case, it's already gone up by £10. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it's back to the previous price just in case they up the prices come the weekend :p

Regardless, I'll be popping in and purchasing one by the end of play tomorrow.
If you're looking in the same place I am (seems likely given you mentioned the price rise), they don't have any stock anywhere anyhow. Popped in on Weds and today and they're saying no stock anywhere, no idea when they can get hold of it.

So I've made a Flubit demand (not used them for yonks), and will see how that works out.

A lot of places (here included) charging £330+ which is madness.

Associate
Where I purchased mine just had the one for sale, that being the 1TB. The 500 was out of stock. I was surprised to see it go up by £10 so soon.

Still, even with that it was a considerable saving over OcUK.

Personally, I think companies are just making the most out of current exchange rates and "Brexit".

Caporegime
Grr mine came today and it's the old 2014 version. I'm sending it straight back without even opening it.

I never win these lotteries.

All the shops are displaying the 2016 model so I'm amazed the big river place still has 2014 stock. It's been sat in a warehouse for years :(

Given that it's 50% more power hungry and 14% slower, I'm not keeping it. £300 is a lot of money for something not to be just right.

Associate
Interesting... How could you tell it was a 2014 version?

The one I purchased last week didn't sale down a river, I purchased it in store and now that you've mentioned this I'd like to check which version they're selling.

Caporegime
Interesting... How could you tell it was a 2014 version?

The one I purchased last week didn't sale down a river, I purchased it in store and now that you've mentioned this I'd like to check which version they're selling.
"Powered by 3D V-nand" all in orange lettering = 2014 version. 6-14% slower, 50% more power consumption.

"V-Nand by Samsung" in black lettering with a blue "V" only... 2016 version.

Back
Top Bottom