• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best way of checking for a gpu bottleneck??

Associate
So I’ve just bought a reference 5700xt and I’m running it with a stock 4690k, is there a good/preferred way of checking if the card is being bottlenecked?

cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
CPU is bottlenecking your system.

I'd run real temp and msi ab and monitor the usage. You'll probably find your CPU at 100% and the gpu at half that. If you don't have an overclock on the cpu, I'd suggest applying one. The alternative is to upgrade to an i7 as the old 4c/4t cpus are appearing to be somewhat dated now.

Associate
OP
CPU is bottlenecking your system.

I'd run real temp and msi ab and monitor the usage. You'll probably find your CPU at 100% and the gpu at half that. If you don't have an overclock on the cpu, I'd suggest applying one. The alternative is to upgrade to an i7 as the old 4c/4t cpus are appearing to be somewhat dated now.
Cheers, i will try this. The clocks are set to 1700 and im getting 1359 max clock when playing CS:GO, or is just cs:go thats not demanding enough for the clock to go higher? GPU-z says i got 100% gpu usage.

Cheers

Associate
OP
Ive sorted it, there is no option for it if you didnt install the riva tuner app also, so il test it out tomorrow. Cheers man :)

Associate
So I’ve just bought a reference 5700xt and I’m running it with a stock 4690k, is there a good/preferred way of checking if the card is being bottlenecked?

cheers
if you up your resolution in game and fps don't drop your gpu is bottlenecked

Associate
OP
@Doilus: I have questions!

I'm considering putting a RX 5700 in to my i5 4670K system which sounds similar to your starting point.

Did you get a worthwhile improvement when running the 5700 with your original CPU?

Any power / PSU problems?

Was a PCIe4 card in a (presumably) PCIe3 motherboard an issue?

All good in the end? Thanks

So I came from a r9 280x and the 4690k was at stock, I wasn’t getting as high FPS as I thought so I did overclock the cpu, got it stable at 4.5 ghz fairly easy. FPS is a lot higher with these settings but I’m still unsure how bad the bottleneck is, I do get 100% gpu usage in benchmarks and the cpu is staying pretty. I will say though the reference 5700 is no where near as loud as people were saying online... my 280x under stress was much louder.

Everything is running fine but I need to look further into finding a definitive way of finding how much the bottleneck is.

Soldato
So I came from a r9 280x and the 4690k was at stock, I wasn’t getting as high FPS as I thought so I did overclock the cpu, got it stable at 4.5 ghz fairly easy. FPS is a lot higher with these settings but I’m still unsure how bad the bottleneck is, I do get 100% gpu usage in benchmarks and the cpu is staying pretty. I will say though the reference 5700 is no where near as loud as people were saying online... my 280x under stress was much louder.

Everything is running fine but I need to look further into finding a definitive way of finding how much the bottleneck is.

If the GPU is at 100% in a benchmark, then your GPU is the bottleneck in a benchmark. Another program may cause the CPU to bottleneck. The bottleneck can change depending on the software.

Don
FPS is a lot higher with these settings but I’m still unsure how bad the bottleneck is

As long as it's a decent improvement, does it really matter if there is a bottleneck? There will always be a bottleneck when you perform upgrades (Unless you have the budget to completely upgrade everything at the same time). Even if there's a 20% bottleneck (for example) then it's unlikely there was exactly a 20% worse card to buy.

Enjoy what you have, and when you can afford or feel a need to upgrade, then buy a new CPU/Motherboard and unlock whatever remaining performance there is. People are too obsessed with "bottlenecks"

Back
Top Bottom