Best way of streaming X264 ?

Soldato
Sorted it now with safe sync but the Xbox still wont see them when MPEG4 :confused:

Got Tversity working but my laptop is maxed out trancoding the MKV (52min 1.1Gb media), need more power :p Or just a VGA cable to the TV direct i guess.

Pretty impressive linkup between WMP11 and the Xbox though.

Associate
gotsent i use to convert to xbox 360 format. some stuff doesnt work even when put through them so then i either use tmpenc and wait ages or dont bother lol i do want a media player though, the one everyone seems to be raving about is this bad boy (Tvix M-6500A ) may get it but the 360 as so much unlocked potential!!!!

Soldato
Having sucess now with Gotsent changing to MP4, then TVersity to sream to the Xbox, CPU doesnt go above 20% and im converting another media file whilst watching one stream so nothing intensive is going on with the streaming.

The Xbox wasnt even seeing the MP4 files using the computer as the video source but seems its far closer to what the Xbox format as theres far less demand on the CPU with TVersity. Wireless is averaging aroung 12% streaming with peaks of 25% so no issues streaming Wi-Fi

God knows what sound standard I have it in though

Last edited:
Associate
The netgear eva 8000 i quite a decent box. The firmware is a bit amateur to be honest, but now plays mkv files etc. I have read lots of negative reviews of it, but my one has never given me any problems.
Plays all my divx etc fine, plus my own h.264 rips from dvd no problem.
Watched a good few hd movies on it and it's always been fine. Only tried it wired, although it does do wireless.

Soldato
Im using this to convert X264 to MPEG4 to run on discs on the Xbox. Ive tried 3 times noe but each time the Video runs way faster than it should resulting in the sound being totally out. The video is about twice speed what it should be.

I tried changing the FPS setting on Go sent from 24.976 to 60000/1001 with no change at all. At ~ 60FPS it went from a 1.1Gb MKV to 2.8 Gb MP4 - whoops

Any tips?

I'm pretty sure all HD discs are a fps of 23.976, broadcast stuff is an entirely different matter though.

Give 23.976 a go if you have'nt already.

EDIT
Anything off FOX and ABC in America will be 720p, and is approx 60fps

NBC, CBS, CW and most other channels are 1080i, and is approx 30fps

Brittish HD is currently ~25fps

Soldato
gotsent i use to convert to xbox 360 format. some stuff doesnt work even when put through them so then i either use tmpenc and wait ages or dont bother lol i do want a media player though, the one everyone seems to be raving about is this bad boy (Tvix M-6500A ) may get it but the 360 as so much unlocked potential!!!!

Took delivery of my TViX HD M-6500A last week and it is a pretty cool piece of kit. I installed a 500GB Samsung Spinpoint in mine and used USB to transfer the content onto it at around 25mb/s (FTP is considerably slower). The unit does indeed stream but I haven't really played around with this part yet as I bought the unit to play my content with the pc turned off. A few people are still having issues with getting their's up and running properly and it is quite an expensive thing to buy (c. £300 + hdd cost). I am very pleased with it at the moment and playback for me is very smooth including 13GB .mkv files like Apocalypto. There has been a lot of discussion over on the AVForums about network media players and generally HTPCs don't fair well in the running. The camp is currently divided between the PopcornHour Network Media Tank and the TViX HD M-6500A, the former being nearly £200 cheaper but not quite as versatile/polished.

Hope this helps. I was going to build an HTPC but they really don't quite match these units even in their infancy as they currently are. It's a bit like having a mobile phone that can play mp3s and having an ipod. One does it rather a lot better.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure all HD discs are a fps of 23.976, broadcast stuff is an entirely different matter though.

Give 23.976 a go if you have'nt already.

EDIT
Anything off FOX and ABC in America will be 720p, and is approx 60fps

NBC, CBS, CW and most other channels are 1080i, and is approx 30fps

Brittish HD is currently ~25fps

I realised GOTsent doesnt touch the video now anyway, so even though it was set at 23.976 but with safe synch on it encoded fine, Im running it through Tversity now so Im not sure how much transcoding its doing but the TV shows it as a 60Hz source, I imagine the media is 60hz anyway.

Associate
Unlike -BA- i went for the PopcornHour Network Media Tank, £133 delivered.

Have succsessfully streamed 1080p .mkv videos over lan from PC.

PopcornHour appears to have great firmware support from the manufacturers and they are adding new things & improving existing stuff constantly.

Like -BA- says both these units are in their infancy but i do believe there is quite an active part of the PopcornHour development which is aimed at improving wireless streaming, (which is possible already).
For more info check out www.popcornhour.com for the unit & http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ for the forum.

RVF

RVF

Associate
Unlike -BA- i went for the PopcornHour Network Media Tank, £133 delivered.

Have succsessfully streamed 1080p .mkv videos over lan from PC.

PopcornHour appears to have great firmware support from the manufacturers and they are adding new things & improving existing stuff constantly.

Like -BA- says both these units are in their infancy but i do believe there is quite an active part of the PopcornHour development which is aimed at improving wireless streaming, (which is possible already).
For more info check out www.popcornhour.com for the unit & http://www.networkedmediatank.com/ for the forum.

Where can I get 1 from, checked out the links on the popcornhour site but they all out of stock.

Back
Top Bottom