Best way to back up PC to Synology.

Soldato
Hi I recently upgraded my NAS and when I was transferring my data over I seem to have a few different back ups that dont really seem that organised.

I was wondering is the built in back up feature in win10 fine to use?

Associate
I have a fairly simple WD MyCloud NAS which does have it's own backup software, but I don't use it.

For a while I used Win7's built in backup but on the WIn10 systems I find that often fails to complete or when I try it restore a backup at a later date it then decides it can't find any points to restore from.

Therefore these days I use Veeam backup which always completes successfully and is faster than Windows backup. It also does incremental backups which saves space.

Permabanned
Do you want backup or file synchronisation? If it's backup you can use either windows and ask to backup to a network drive (synology) or use the sinology app.

Soldato
OP
Which Synology do you have?

What kind of backup(s) do you want?

DS916+. To be honest Im not very clued up on my options?

I have a fairly simple WD MyCloud NAS which does have it's own backup software, but I don't use it.

For a while I used Win7's built in backup but on the WIn10 systems I find that often fails to complete or when I try it restore a backup at a later date it then decides it can't find any points to restore from.

Therefore these days I use Veeam backup which always completes successfully and is faster than Windows backup. It also does incremental backups which saves space.

So does the incremental back ups just creats one and then update it at a set time so I only ever have a single backup?

Do you want backup or file synchronisation? If it's backup you can use either windows and ask to backup to a network drive (synology) or use the sinology app.

Is it worth having both a back up and file sync? I'm abit confused what is best.

Associate
Incremental creates one big backup (including bare metal restore to be used if say you to replace the boot HD) then after that only saves the changes so usually much smaller. Each increment is a seperate restore point...

forward_incremental_chain.png

Back
Top Bottom