Best way to level ground/lawn for a shed?

Soldato
DSCF1249.jpg

Soldato
I'm not a builder but I'd imagine spirit level, a spade, sand and slab it if you want hard standing as you say you have slabs?
Or dig 6" (guessing?) out, brick outline and put down self leveling cement?
When I did my shed I used the slab technique. If I want to change it I can, cement is more permanent.

Soldato
Dig out the grass and topsoil. Dig a bit deeper on the high side so that the ground is roughly level. Put down some sand (or dry sand+cement mix) and level that. Add slabs.

*Lay out the sand for a couple of slabs at a time rather than the whole area at once.

Bes

Bes

Soldato
I have just done the same thing.

Don't lay it on slabs was what I have told... better to use something like concrete 'sleepers' as a bed so air can get under the floor. If you use slabs, water can pool under the floor of the shed and cause rot.

Associate
actually if your putting a shed down id advise putting down some wooden beams set in concreate to lift it off the ground, so no wood will sit in water after it rains, so the bottom wont rot out.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I used concrete fence posts to get everything off the ground and just plonked the shed across.

Took about 5 bags of concrete mix to level the posts, cheap and easy.

Soldato
Just done something very similar. Dug out the ground so it was level using pegs, string and a spirit level as a guide, then dropped some old flags in at corners and mid points, just for a bit more stability. Built a base out of 47mmx100mm tanalised timber, essentially a home made "portabase" and then shed went on top of that.

Keeps the shed off the ground and provides ventilation to the floor while still maintaining an acceptable look.

Definitely dig out the grass. It will be hard to work with otherwise. And you should level it off as much as possible, otherwise you might find your shed starts to warp over time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I appreciate all your comments.

Plan of attack will be:
1) Remove lawn.
2) Level with soil.
3) Place slabs on the entire area where the lawn has been removed and ground made level.
4) Get some plastic shed bases (little milk crates) and place in the corners and spaced in the middle to support the shed.
5) The shed will sit on top.

I think the troublesome point will the removing of the lawn. I think some hard graft will be needed.

Does anyone have any tips on removing lawn? Is this time of year good for it? I'm looking to remove 8'x8' feet in total.

Soldato
Best way I found was to essentially cut it into squares like you were cutting chocolate brownies and then use a shovel to cut underneath the small sections. Try and take as little soil as possible with it or itll get heavy.

Back
Top Bottom