Best way to make the Focus 'firm' again?

Associate
After a bit of advice. I have a 1.8 TDDi focus with 166,000 on the clock. Still happy with it, and will be keeping it for the forseeable future.

As you can imagine with this sort of mileage, the ride is rather 'bouncy' compared to when it was a bit younger, and the body roll in corners is much more apparant.

Its still on original shocks. The front springs were replace about 20,000 miles ago when one decided to snap. The rears are still original, along with all the bushes. Its never failed or recieved any advisories on MOT's.

Wondering what would be the best way of making it feel a bit better, without spending a fortune? Should I replace all the bushes, or is it a case of getting new shocks / springs all round?

Soldato
Your suspension probably needs an overhaul, Clarkey has the right idea. Do the shocks, then look at getting the control arms/bushes replaced. Should tighten the car up and stop excess road noise/vibration.

Associate
OP
OK so the best way to combat this would be new shocks, and new springs to go with them.

Pricing these up on ECP, 4 x Sachs shocks and springs come to a total of £285 including the current 25% off promo. (£380 without)

OR - would it be worthwhile entertaining a coilover kit? Ive seen a FK Automotive coilover kit for £204.99 on the bay. Is FK a reasonable brand? Im not really fussed if the car is lowered a bit or not.

I wont be doing the fitting myself. I have a local mecahnic who I have trusted for years, and they will be doing the work. I dont really want to start the job, then find half the bolts are siezed up.

Cheers all so far :)

Caporegime
Don't get cheap coilovers. Get standard shocks and springs, if you have an LX or Ghia, go for the Zetec shocks as they are firmer. I'm not sure if the suspension is any different up front because of the diesel engine.

Caporegime
Stick with the OEM shocks and springs for £285, they will be far better than coil overs at anywhere near this price.

Still look into rebushing the car, a mechanic will say they're fine as they'll pass an MOT but they'll be shagged. I know someone on here found it cheaper to buy a whole subframe for £10 more than the bushes were and it saved ages on labour. It shouldn't be much and it makes sense as the shocks and springs are coming out anyway.

Associate
OP
IIRC I think it was just the springs that were a bit firmer on the zetec models. Mine is actually a zetec, however ECP just shows me Sachs springs for my reg with no indication that these are the same firmness as OEM zetec springs.

Bushes - well I already know its easier just to buy new wishbones with new bushes fitted, rather than cutting out/pressing new ones into existing wishbones. New lemforder wishbones are £76 each though. Droplinks are £28 a set for fronts, same again for rears. Then ARB bushes ontop. Then I may as well renew the trackrod ends if thats all off too.

Not sure if I can afford to do this all in one go tbh. Its either get the shocks and springs done now, and wait a few months to do all the bushes and wishbones, or wait until I have the cash for the lot.

Got the cambelt / waterpump / aux belt book in this month as well to be replaced for the second time! :o

Back
Top Bottom