Best way to protect coilovers

Soldato
I'm going to be putting a set of KW V3's on my Clio 200 in the next month or so which is daily driven in all weathers, because of how valuable they are I really don't want them to rust and generally get ruined over time.

Apart from wiping them with an oil soaked rag is there anything a bit more longlasting that I can do?

Caporegime
Could you elaborate? Never heard of issues with coilover socks?

They attract dirt and can retain moisture internally. This leads to abrasion and corrosion. Corrosion in the presence of abrasion is rapidly increased due to the inability of an oxide layer to form.

It's the same reason you don't see dust boots on high end suspension and shocks on bikes.

Soldato
Can I just say Coilovers on a road car isn’t the greatest thing

Set the to stiff and low and in the wet your off.

So many people do this and end up in a hedge. You need to adjust for weather conditions depending how you set them. I know 100 percent this isn’t everybody but i have been there and seen it on many forums

Can’t talk on socks but it does sound like they will retain moisture which isn’t s good thing

Man of Honour
Stiff n low is not good for road use or fast road yet so many do it. Give me pliant damping over a stiff n low set up on most roads.

Permabanned
The ONLY way to protect "coilovers" as you call them is with a corrosion resistant spray WAX.

The fact you are asking this question means that you obviously do not have a lot of experience with "race" suspension on the road. ACF will only get you so far, and require constant re-application. Road salt, dirt, and water are mortal enemies of finely adjustable alloy shocks, and you will find without CONSTANT TLC your lovely new suspension will age faster than a Liverpudlian prostitute addicted to crack.

My experience on the matter is that I would spray the life out of them with a proper wax, which can withstand the abuse they get on the road in all weathers. This will not look as pretty, but if you have just dropped £2-£3k on suspension and insist on running it on the road, its a must IMO. ACF50 is "ok", but you need something more robust than simply an oily microfilm.

Man of Honour
Spray chain grease over the adjuster threads, that's enough just to stop them seizing up.

Adjustable platform dampers ("coilovers" as people generally call them - although almost all modern suspension is coilover because the coil spring usually sits over the damper) don't have to be any stiffer or harsher than conventional fixed platform setups.

I've driven a Nova on conventional style tarmac springs and dampers that was significantly stiffer than anything I've driven with adjustable platform suspension.

Caporegime
Both my cars I just make sure I'm careful when fitting them as to not dink the finish, cos that will be the entry point for rust. Copper slip the threads, and put socks on them. Coilover socks not foot socks. :p

Leave them in the box and enjoy a life free of spinal injuries? :)

My Corolla rode beautifully on its coilovers, it was about 5cm lower than standard. Not jarring or uncomfortable at all, but helped you feel the road, minimised roll etc. Before I wound them down from 20mm to 50mm they were far more comfortable than stock as well. They were Teins.

The MX5 is slammed so far to the ground that I scrape on speed bumps (I know, I'm childish), but I can still drive it 400 miles in a day and get out the other end feeling as fresh as a daisy. These are Koni.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can I just say Coilovers on a road car isn’t the greatest thing

Set the to stiff and low and in the wet your off.

So many people do this and end up in a hedge. You need to adjust for weather conditions depending how you set them. I know 100 percent this isn’t everybody but i have been there and seen it on many forums

Can’t talk on socks but it does sound like they will retain moisture which isn’t s good thing
Agree entirely yet for some reason (cost perhaps?) coilovers are a real thing in the BMW e38 community - lost count of how many I found advertised with them when I was looking for mine and disregarded because of them, I can’t think of a worse addition to a car that’s strong point is it’s ride!

Back
Top Bottom