best way to scrap a car these days?

Soldato
El Punto of fail is now in my possession and I shall endeavour to get my grubby paws inside it tomorrow to see if I can find out what's wrong with it.
Runs on three cylinders when cold LOLOL not a good start but hey ho, probably moisture in one of the cylinders from the HG failure.

Cheers Chris much appreciated. :D

gotta take some pics of the insides, fella, so we can all gawk at the damage :p

Soldato
Spot the odd one out :D

df5309cd.jpg

Soldato
That's the plan Duke.

Confirmed Headgasket failure tonight by way of combustion leak detector fluid on the the bubbling water in the expansion tank.

Started the strip down.

Soldato
OP
Looking at the photo of the driver's seat I do wonder how badly the car has been cared for!

I have seen 20 year old tractors that are better inside.

my brother is a big lad, 6'3 and nearly 18 stone, he is a logistics manager and in and out of the warehouse, speaking to drivers etc, he gets grubby put that with him using it for things such as fishing, lugging his guitar equipment around and a general lack of respect for the car haven't helped plus it was never going to be of the highest quality due to the make and model.

i look forward to the progress update, andy. props to you for having a bash :)

Soldato
The head is off.
fe17b9a5.jpg

Clear case of no1 cylinder gasket failure
ccb03ad9.jpg

Bonus is the head isn't even warped.
c8cb854c.jpg

And the bores are still as good as new :D
9f633204.jpg

On another note, mate is here after hours too detailing his GTR <3

3f75823a.jpg

Soldato
Good news tainted with bad news today.

The good news.
Complete head gasket kit, valve stem seals, rocker cover gasket, oil seals etc...
£20
Head bolt set.
£7

Bad news.
Oil has started to leak from where I've disturbed the corrosion on the sump pan with the rubber block on the trolley jack.
ARSE!
sump replacement required.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I was about to post

my younger brothers 52 reg punto has blown the head gasket and is uneconomical to repair.
he wants me to get rid. what's the best way, advertise it as a break on ebay or drive it to the local scrapyard and hope they give me a bit of money for it?
I got £245 for a 'spares or repairs' Renault on eBay. Like others have said, you don't even need to leave your chair. Just make it clear it's for spares or repairs and put it on with a £99 start price or something.

But the thread has turned into something I'm really enjoying :D

Excellent OcUK community motoring :D

Soldato
OP
I got £245 for a 'spares or repairs' Renault on eBay. Like others have said, you don't even need to leave your chair. Just make it clear it's for spares or repairs and put it on with a £99 start price or something.

this was my second choice, would've had a reserve of £150 and gone to the crusher had it not made that but andy was keen and seemed like he genuinely wanted to try and give the car a second chance. i offered him first refusal and he didn't mess me about so i was more than happy with the outcome.

will be interesting to see how it goes.

Soldato
Sorry for hijacking this thread but it is related and didn't feel it was worth a thread of it's own.

I have a '98 306 XSi which has failed it's MOT (details here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18323222&highlight=306+MOT). I was going to flog it but I'm not sure how much it's worth, what do you reckon? We've bought a replacement car so are looking to get rid of this to free up the space on the driveway.

As well as the things it's failed the MOT on, it has the usual 306 issue of the wiring between the body and the door having broken (5/6 wires), which means the electric mirrors and windows don't work. Other than that it's a good running car and it would be a shame to scrap it when someone mechanically minded could give it a bit of TLC and have a decent runabout.

Back
Top Bottom