Best websites to look for a new job?

Associate
Currently on placement year in my degree. Final year is coming up so I am looking at potential jobs. I studying Computer networking and security. Going for a first or 2:1.

Where is best to look for a job after university?
What websites are best to look on and what are best to avoid?
What did others do when they graduated?
Is it all doom and gloom?

Thank you!

Man of Honour
What about where you're currently working, or are you bad at it, or does the company not fit in with what you want to do?

I think I applied on jobsite, monster, linkedin is good (so I've heard) - at least get your CV up there, newspapers, all sorts really, find all the crappy recruitment agencies around the areas you want to work in and send them your CV.

Be prepared to be put forward or contacted for lots of unsuitable jobs, use them as interview practice anyway, even if you don't want the job.

Not all doom and gloom, but thinking you're going to waltz into any company you want and be given an amazing salary is a little unrealistic :)

Associate
OP
What about where you're currently working, or are you bad at it, or does the company not fit in with what you want to do?

I think I applied on jobsite, monster, linkedin is good (so I've heard) - at least get your CV up there, newspapers, all sorts really, find all the crappy recruitment agencies around the areas you want to work in and send them your CV.

Be prepared to be put forward or contacted for lots of unsuitable jobs, use them as interview practice anyway, even if you don't want the job.

Not all doom and gloom, but thinking you're going to waltz into any company you want and be given an amazing salary is a little unrealistic :)

What I am currently doing is good but job satisfaction is low so I would rather move to somewhere different. It is always an option though the whole beggars cant be choosers comes to mind ;)

Thank you! I am ready for all the **** to come at me when leaving but getting a Job at least relevant to my degree is what I want. I don't think for a moment I will walk in to a company I want straight away maybe one day :)

I will be sure to check those sites I am on linkedin at the moment it is god.

Associate
LinkedIn is key. Some recruiters use LinkedIn more than their own candidate databases.
And many of the job/CV sites are just that now - databases of candidates that then recruiters then pay to search and datamine thru.

Use your LinkedIn network to your advantage. If you know people in your own field and industry, ask them who the decent recruitment people are to talk to. And thats key too - talk to them, make calls. Leave voicemails.

Someone gets 15 CVs off a jobsite, they'll go by skills listed. Someone gets a phonecall from an interested party, they'll remember it and look out for the CV after.

Play the recruitment game. Its like dating. Good luck.

Associate
OP
LinkedIn is key. Some recruiters use LinkedIn more than their own candidate databases.
And many of the job/CV sites are just that now - databases of candidates that then recruiters then pay to search and datamine thru.

Use your LinkedIn network to your advantage. If you know people in your own field and industry, ask them who the decent recruitment people are to talk to. And thats key too - talk to them, make calls. Leave voicemails.

Someone gets 15 CVs off a jobsite, they'll go by skills listed. Someone gets a phonecall from an interested party, they'll remember it and look out for the CV after.

Play the recruitment game. Its like dating. Good luck.

That is some good advice thank you! I am make a notepad file on this thread so please keep all the advice coming more the better. Any experience any one has in the job hunt game is welcome!!!

Back
Top Bottom