bet365 boss pays herself £265 MILLION

Soldato
The law and order in this society would protect from such an act so it's not a weakness, no one is going to touch her. She on the other hand is working within the law with the exception of anything being covered up through abuse of power aka separate rules for the rich.

It's a weakness, when you have that kind of wealth your just prey to something else. Normally more organised kinds of criminal.

Associate
She on the other hand is working within the law with the exception of anything being covered up through abuse of power aka separate rules for the rich.
This very much, there are lots out there that would use various tax evasion schemes to avoid paying anything. As was quite clearly stated on BBC news that she contributes to the economy through paying taxes.

Associate
Not a news story. She owns 50.1% of the shares, i imagine the boardroom meeting went like this:

Ms. Coates: I want to pay myself £265m
Everyone else: can't you pay less and invest more into the business?
Ms. Coates: let's have a vote.
Ms. Coates: The votes are in: 50.1% for Yes i get paid, 49.9% i don't, will of the people, i get paid!

Soldato
This very much, there are lots out there that would use various tax evasion schemes to avoid paying anything. As was quite clearly stated on BBC news that she contributes to the economy through paying taxes.
It's a bit like you get to a point where it's literally not worth the fuss of dodging taxes. I know there will be wealthier people than her out there who do tax evade/avoid, but if I was earning what she is then I certainly would just pay the tax that was due.

I wonder if she was earning a quarter of what she does, perhaps she would tax avoid more.

Soldato
I think we went too far the other way when we relaxed the law on gambling and advertising of gambling. Every other advert around sport is now a gambling advert. I've personally never seen the appeal, my vices lie elsewhere. Still allowing people to put themselves £1000s in debt very very quickly is just wrong imo.

As for her pay, hey it's her company, she can take what she wants.

Associate
this was on the news earlier she studied economics at Sheffield uni, and then sold her late dads chain of betting shops to set up the business up took a big risk i guess and it paid off big time. meanwhile the bloke who owns dyson has just bought a flat in new york for 73 million. how the other half live :rolleyes:

Caporegime
this was on the news earlier she studied economics at Sheffield uni, and then sold her late dads chain of betting shops to set up the business up took a big risk i guess and it paid off big time. meanwhile the bloke who owns dyson has just bought a flat in new york for 73 million. how the other half live :rolleyes:
Getting his money out of the UK before brexit, which he campaigned for.

Caporegime
Ocuk’s attitude towards rich people:-

1 - oh you used legal ways to avoid paying taxes?! You tax dodger!!! You need to pay your dues!

2 - oh you pay your taxes? You should give more to charity then.

3 - oh you pay your taxes and gives millions to charity? You need to pay your employees better bonuses even though I have no idea how much they get.

4 - oh you pay your taxes, gives millions to charity and pays your employee good bonuses. Well you look like you fell down and hit the ugly tree.

Man of Honour
The only caveat I'd have is that I hope all employees felt some benefit if they are doing well enough to pay a boss that much.

I think we went too far the other way when we relaxed the law on gambling and advertising of gambling. Every other advert around sport is now a gambling advert. I've personally never seen the appeal, my vices lie elsewhere. Still allowing people to put themselves £1000s in debt very very quickly is just wrong imo.

As for her pay, hey it's her company, she can take what she wants.

I found it a bit dubious how some of the big name sites have banned ads from firearm related sources (and tried to clamp down on content of that nature) citing the impact of gun violence "destroying lives" while quite happy to spam me with gambling ads (which are a big ad money source) which I'm pretty sure has destroyed many more lives.

Last edited:
Associate
I know that every employee gets a £50 Love to Shop voucher for Christmas and they employ just over 4000... make of that what you will. Also, it's not the best company to work for unless you are high up. I don't work there but I do drive past each day and know people that do and who have moved on.

But if I was in her position I would pay myself a good wage too. She did create all of this.

Soldato
Bet365 is the biggest employer in Stoke-on-Trent, she could have easily moved the operation to a more desirable area or somewhere with lower wages/tax breaks.

She also started the business in a portakabin located in Fesitval Park. She works endless hours and is the most driven business person i have seen. She's the major shareholder followed by her brother and then her father has a small amount of shares along with other siblings.

She has turned a relatively small amount of money from her dad into a multi billion pound business while remaing a private company and put many people from a poor city in a job. Is it obscene money? Yes, has she earned it? No doubt.

Man of Honour
I know that every employee gets a £50 Love to Shop voucher for Christmas and they employ just over 4000... make of that what you will. Also, it's not the best company to work for unless you are high up. I don't work there but I do drive past each day and know people that do and who have moved on.

But if I was in her position I would pay myself a good wage too. She did create all of this.

Reminds me I've not had a Christmas or end of financial year bonus in a couple of years :( (that used to be a lot more than £50 as well).

EDIT: Though to be fair IIRC they did slash it as part of an agreement to give everyone a pay rise but still.

Soldato
Knowing a few people that work there the pay seems very good throughout but for me, I'd rather have taken half that and shared the rest amongst the 4300 employee's and given everyone a 30k bonus.

It's not her that's making the money, it's everyone she sits on the shoulders of.

Back
Top Bottom