• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Beta MSI Afterburner extends memory overclock for nVidia 3xxx series.

Soldato
Yeh but have you checked benchmark scores are actually rising?

Memory overclocking not what it used to be. You won't see snow or artifacts even at high clockspeeds but you aren't genuinely running that fast. It throttles to not make errors and likely you are either not running any faster or slightly less in real terms.

My VRAM taps out around +700Mhz so run +600Mhz

Soldato
pointless for me, the memory on my 3090 will drop off at +400mhz, if I tried +2000mhz, the performance would probably be like a gtx780

Man of Honour
VRAM on my 3070FE doesn't clock much at all anyhow - beyond approx. +200 IIRC applications using 3D just start randomly closing and/or driver TDR. Given the temperatures on some of the cards unless you redo the cooling it probably isn't a good idea to push it too far as well.

Soldato
Surprised people are seeing drop-offs/crashes that low. All three Ampere cards I've done some memory overclocking on have scaled to or even above +1000MHz set in Afterburner. Made sure to check before/after scores every step of the way in several benchmarks to avoid regressions.

Associate
I found my 3070 memory was limited by MSI Afterburner.

I found that the new beta extends the limit from +1500 to +2000.

Testing on Rig 1 in sig gets me to 1800 MHz, 8800 Mhz in AB / 2200 MHz in GPU-Z.

:D

do they use better ram on the laptop versions ? the desktop ones dont come close to overclocking that far.

Associate
VRAM on my 3070FE doesn't clock much at all anyhow - beyond approx. +200 IIRC applications using 3D just start randomly closing and/or driver TDR. Given the temperatures on some of the cards unless you redo the cooling it probably isn't a good idea to push it too far as well.

Strange, my 3070FE is running at +1400 and seems to be fine at 63MH/s. I only mine on it though.

Soldato
My 3080FE only manages +600MHz. Anything higher than +620MHz usually results in an instant blackscreen. I thought it was supposed to simply degrade performance when pushed too far but mine must be the exception :(

Soldato
OP
What build as I see no updates via AB GUI (I am on Betas).

Guru3D

do they use better ram on the laptop versions ? the desktop ones dont come close to overclocking that far.

I’m wondering if they have better thermal contact with all the components due to lack of space?

I repasted mine and the contact points seem to be substantial and generally pretty good. I don’t recognise all the components though.

My 3080FE only manages +600MHz. Anything higher than +620MHz usually results in an instant blackscreen. I thought it was supposed to simply degrade performance when pushed too far but mine must be the exception :(

I’m guessing that +600 on a 3080 is a higher speed than +600 on a 3070 though, right?

eg my default is 7000, so +1000 gives 8000 in AB (2000 in GPU-Z)

Last edited:
Associate
For reference my 3080 FE is happy at +1000Mhz but at +1050MHz it will lose 1-2 fps and then after that it starts to drop off loads.

Soldato
OP
Yeh but have you checked benchmark scores are actually rising?

Memory overclocking not what it used to be. You won't see snow or artifacts even at high clockspeeds but you aren't genuinely running that fast. It throttles to not make errors and likely you are either not running any faster or slightly less in real terms.

My VRAM taps out around +700Mhz so run +600Mhz

Thanks for pointing this out.

I can confirm I get performance increases all the way up to +1800 MHz, at which point Superposition crashes near the end of the benchmark.

+1750 produces the occassional geometry error (massive spikes in Unigine Heaven benchmark and games)
+1700 is therefore probably the sweet spot and what I will use for mining.

Some things to point out, in case others are interested:

1) Testing was done with the GPU core at fixed very low voltage / clocks (e.g. ~650 mV / 1100 MHz). This is to allow plenty of thermal and power headroom to truly see what the memory is capable of.
2) Performance increases are tiny in something like Unigine Heaven (around 0.5% per 500 MHz).
3) For games, I plan to use the opposite setting - namely, max GPU clock and limiting the memory to "only" +1000 MHz. For me, the optimal curve seems to be +250 MHz at the low end (600 mV) and topping out around 1900 MHz at the high end (1000 mV). Generall, the GPU sits at 1650 MHz / 775 mV, where it's power-limited, but of course this varies on the game / scene being rendered.

Man of Honour
I thought it was supposed to simply degrade performance when pushed too far but mine must be the exception :(

Depends on the errors I guess but I don't see any degraded performance on mine from upping the VRAM clock too high - at least not before the point I start to get driver TDRs and applications crashing to desktop. Mine doesn't seem to like VRAM overclocking much at all.

On the flip side the core on my 3070FE seems to clock a fair bit higher than average so swings and roundabouts.

Think I managed +1000 or something in Heaven benchmark but it wouldn't make it through 2 runs of the benchmark in The Division before just dumping the game to desktop.

Associate
I can mine at +1600 MHz on my 3070 Suprim X (64.3 MH/s); +1700 gets me an incorrect CRC on the DAG; 1800+ gets me BSODs. Gaming I have to turn it down a bit (+1200 MHz) 'cause the Suprim has a weak power limit (107%) and it's tough juggling a core overclock (2040 MHz) with memory overclocking without hitting power limits.

Back
Top Bottom