Betting on football when you don't follow football

Soldato
I've never enjoyed watching football but as I work in a pub I'm often subjected to it. I can't understand why people get so into it. After all, it's only 22 assorted thugs and sex offenders being paid silly money to chase a ball. Anyway, I digress...

I think I might be more interested in and less annoyed by football if I had some money riding on the outcome. So, I was wondering: should you have a keen interest in football before betting on the outcome of matches?

Soldato
Definatley. I don't know jack about horses so don't bet on them. I know a bit about football and still lose most of the time :D

If you really wanted to bet though i'd say just stick trebles on Man United, Chelsea and City when they have some fairly easy opponents.

Soldato
I've never enjoyed watching football but as I work in a pub I'm often subjected to it. I can't understand why people get so into it. After all, it's only 22 assorted thugs and sex offenders being paid silly money to chase a ball. Anyway, I digress...

I think I might be more interested in and less annoyed by football if I had some money riding on the outcome. So, I was wondering: should you have a keen interest in football before betting on the outcome of matches?

It's amazing how much you learn from actually betting on games. I never used to know anything about tennis, rugby, cricket, you name it until I started betting (only small) on it. You'll learn a lot then pick out things which are better value ;)

Man of Honour
My advice is bet on what you know. I've never bet on the horses because I know nothing about it (and find it boring!) and therefore know that I'll be at a disadvantage compared to other people.

I've put 1 or 2 bets on Sports I don't know that well (Golf, Tennis, Snooker) and invariably I've lost money, which taught me a lesson.

Even with a sport you know, you want to be careful when betting in unfamilar territory (foreign matches, lower leagues etc). I've lost a bit by getting suckered into betting on random European matches. A good test I think where football is concerned is to ask yourself the question "Could I name at least half the players that are playing?". If the answer is no, chances are you don't know much about the game concerned, although that's not to say you can't learn enough through analysis to make a few quid.

Soldato
A good test I think where football is concerned is to ask yourself the question "Could I name at least half the players that are playing?". If the answer is no, chances are you don't know much about the game concerned, although that's not to say you can't learn enough through analysis to make a few quid.

Depends on what type of bets you are doing. I would say that 99% of my bets are on the goals market (Over 1.5/2.5 etc). I couldn't name one player from most of the matches i pick, as i only go off the stats for each league/game.

Back
Top Bottom