Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm

Associate
Just managed to pick up a second hand pair of DT770's from a well known auction site for £65 they are approximatley 5 years old but look pretty clean and am assured are in good working order. I expect delivery of them either Wednesday or Thursday so can't wait to find out how good they really are?

I've got a Xonar DGX Sound Card with the built in Headphone Amp so this should be more than adequate, I hope they blow my exisiting headphones out of the water?

Caporegime
what are your existing headphones?

They are supposed to be on the same level as Fidelio X1's, HD 598, etc but slightly better iirc for music/movies whereas the fidelio are better all rounders and HD 598 are better for just gaming. but the DT770's are also harder to drive than them.

either way it's a brilliant mid-fi can at a brilliant price, you cannot go wrong with them. to go up to the next level would cost at least £200 new and usually over £300 for a significant difference.

Associate
They are excellent, they are the cheapest headphone I own and actually one of my favorite. They are a bit bass boosted with a nice sparkly treble, mids are a bit push back but not much.

Wide soundstage, best positional accuracy I've ever heard and built like a tank. You got a bargain! I use them for portability a lot because they are so rugged and comfy too.

I prefer them to my £429 Denon D7100. For an upgrade you are looking at the D2000/D5000, W1000x and they cost four times as much.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can run the 80ohms from anything, I think Sonny is getting a bit mixed up. They will sound better under an amp, but the DGX will be sufficient to drive them well.

They are great for the money, certainly for music anyway!

Associate
OP
I new they start at about £120 and I didn't want to spend that much at the moment. I did miss out on a 80 Ohm version yesterday which sold for £41 but they were in no where near as good condition, were 9 years old the ear pads were split so would need replacing at that particular pair didn't have the small jack adaptor so would had to purchase a Mini jack, so would have worked out about the same in the end. At the moment Ihave the Madcatz Freq 3 which are OK, I will use them on my old PC and keep the DT770 for my main rig. As I specifically wanted a closed cup I think these were the best choice. I didn't want to get the 250 Ohm version as I don't know that the Xonar GTX would have enough headphone Amp power to make the most of them. The great thing about hte 770's is most parts can be replaced. Speaking of the Xonar I only found out yesterday that you get sample ehich is either 44, 48 or 96. I've been running all this time at 44 now that I'm running at 48 I already notice a difference. Still get the odd problem where the mic for some unknown reason doesn't work but can usually get it working again with a few adjustments. Assuming the headphones work OK I will purchase a Speedlink Spes mic next week.

Caporegime
not for competitive gaming though IMO, HD 595 and HD 598 are better for gaming, the DT770 is better for music/movies or immersive gaming though as it a more "fun" headphone

it depends on what characteristics your looking for

Associate
OP
Received my head phones, yesterday evening, very happy with them so far only a little bit of wear to the headband, and faded white paint from the logo on the cups, so for £65 I can't complain about normal wear and tear for a pair of 5 year old headphones.

Not had much of a chance to use them yet however I have already noticed they are very loud and more bassy than my old headphones and very light and comfortable to wear.

Associate
Received my head phones, yesterday evening, very happy with them so far only a little bit of wear to the headband, and faded white paint from the logo on the cups, so for £65 I can't complain about normal wear and tear for a pair of 5 year old headphones.

Not had much of a chance to use them yet however I have already noticed they are very loud and more bassy than my old headphones and very light and comfortable to wear.

Glad to hear your pleased theyre a great pair of headphones

Back
Top Bottom