• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BFG 7800GT PCI-E - a few questions

Soldato
Currently put together a system with one of these, but i'm not getting any signal to the monitor.

Does the card require the 6pin power connection to actually work, as i don't have one at them moment. Or will it work regardless? (allbeit at reduced speed).

The card never came with a DVI-DSUB adaptor either so i'm using an old one from my 9800pro, will this work ok?

Man of Honour
As far as I am aware you will need the power connector as it won't get enough power to work, however if it is like the 6800series it might do but with power warnings.

The DVI adapter from your old card should work just fine they are not card specific :)

Soldato
Hi mate, firstly accept my apologies for not including the cd, manual and adaptor. I was properly hung over yesterday and it didnt even occur to me. I can post these onto you if you like?
Regarding the no signal, I have on a couple of occasions forgotten to attach the 6 pin connector from my PSU and got no signal either, it seems to be necessary in order for it to display anything. I can't seem to find the molex to 6pin adaptor either, I have a feeling I gave it away with a motherboard I sold recently :(

Soldato
OP
trojan698 said:
Hi mate, firstly accept my apologies for not including the cd, manual and adaptor. I was properly hung over yesterday and it didnt even occur to me. I can post these onto you if you like?
Regarding the no signal, I have on a couple of occasions forgotten to attach the 6 pin connector from my PSU and got no signal either, it seems to be necessary in order for it to display anything. I can't seem to find the molex to 6pin adaptor either, I have a feeling I gave it away with a motherboard I sold recently :(

don't worry aobut it, i'll just pick one up. no need for the CD or manual either.

I just thought it was wierd it doesn't even give a power warning unlike the 9800pro.

Soldato
OP
Right picked up an LP4to 6PIn PCI Exp from a popular electronics retailer and plugged that into the card and the other ends into the PSU, now the computer will not power on at all. I then changed the psu for one i know to be working 100% and got exactly the same problem. Now even with the card out of the system the PC will not power on.

Tryied the psus in a P4 system and they power on fine.

Put them back in the other system with the GFX card pwer connecter out and they power on.

Plug in the power to the GFX and the system is dead again, even when the GFX card is then unplugged.

Any Ideas on the issues here please?

Man of Honour
My BFG's have a two molex into one pci-e adapter as they reckon a single molex is not enough, especially if you have anything else being powered from the same lead. I have one running of a dedicated pci-e line from the psu and the other runs off two seperate molex leads into a pci-e adapter which was supplied with the card.

Soldato
OP
pastymuncher said:
My BFG's have a two molex into one pci-e adapter as they reckon a single molex is not enough, especially if you have anything else being powered from the same lead. I have one running of a dedicated pci-e line from the psu and the other runs off two seperate molex leads into a pci-e adapter which was supplied with the card.

yeah thats what this adapter is x2 4-pin molex to 6-pin pci-e.

It just doesn't power up with the card in and connected to the power, or then after the card is removed. But it it will then power up without the card card power if unplugged and put back in. something is dodgy somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom