Bibshort lifespan

Soldato
What sort of lifespan do people expect from decent bib shorts?

Used my "Sunday Best" Endura bibshorts (FS260 Pro-SL) for the last ToS stage on Sunday and was rather disappointed to spot a hole them afterwards. It's where the just below the pad, probably where the inside of your thigh can rub on the saddle.

All my bib shorts/tights show wear (rough fabric, bobbling etc) in the same area but this is the first time I've gone through the fabric and these are the most expensive I've ever purchased (£95). As I've kept them for best (eg longer weekend rides), I'd guess they've been used and washed 20 to 30 times since I got them in July 2015.

Hopefully Evans or Endura will replace them (though a faff in having to post them back) but I thought ask around that my kit expectations aren't unreasonable...

Soldato
One of my favourite pairs of Castelli shorts have lasted me over two years and probably over 6000 miles. Starting to show a bit of wear and thinning at the back (misses says she can sort of see my arse now lol) but otherwise still going strong!

Soldato
I would expect a decent amount of time from them. Washing them at 30 degrees with no softener etc seems to help.

Agreed - Castelli seems to wear great - badges have washed off the leg but otherwise they are my oldest pair (circa 2 years) and still going great. Saying that DHB have been good as well.

Soldato
My first pair of Castelli Free Aero from 2015 are still going strong. £53 down from £150. Granted now visually some of the decals are cracking & fading and the chamois is past its best but they've taken loads of abuse and still have more miles in them.

My other sets I've not had really for over a year but are all still in excellent condition, Castelli Volo and Rapha Wiggin's Core. The chamois exterior is a little shinny, minorly faded and not quite as jet black as when new but elsewhere still 100%

I usually just stick mine on a 20-30 min quick wash with all my other kit which finishes with a slow spin (800rpm). Non bio powder (most economical £ for short washes) and no softener. Hung up to dry in the airing cupboard.

Any zips or velco can catch in the washing machine so worth making sure they're done up or closed to reduce bobbling and fluffing when pulling items apart.

Caporegime
Well my Rapha Classics have lasted 6-ish years, including through a serious accident, without a sign of wear. I've got some Asos as well that have lasted years. I tend to buy expensive, but they last, so works for me.

I tend not to buy heavily decaled shorts so perhaps I don't notice fading as others might, I always wash them at 30oC and apply chamois cream when hanging them out to dry. I also always put them on a hangar. Does this make a difference? God knows. Works for me though :).

Soldato
OP
Cheers all - the shorts are in excellent condition bar where they have worn through, so fingers crossed on getting them replaced without too much agro.

We only use Halo Sports Wash for a weekly outdoor gear wash, usually at 30C

Soldato
I've got some assos ones I grabbed soon after I got my first road bike that must have done about 8k miles now. The pad is still pristine. My rapha and castelli showing very little sign of wear, but cheaper bibs will go quicker. My endura custom kit seemed to die the quickest tho, really poor quality.

Soldato
From doing a 9 day LeJog my conclusion was they don't last as long as you would think. What i mean is they don't perform at 100% as long as you would think. The Shorts I bought that season where far more comfortable than the ones I had that where one season old all Identical Sportful Total comfort shorts.

Soldato
My first pair of Castelli Free Aero from 2015 are still going strong. £53 down from £150. Granted now visually some of the decals are cracking & fading and the chamois is past its best but they've taken loads of abuse and still have more miles in them.
Castelli are pretty poor for decals and logo showing wear, but the fabrics and pads themselves wear loads better than others.
I usually just stick mine on a 20-30 min quick wash with all my other kit which finishes with a slow spin (800rpm). Non bio powder (most economical £ for short washes) and no softener. Hung up to dry in the airing cupboard.

Any zips or velco can catch in the washing machine so worth making sure they're done up or closed to reduce bobbling and fluffing when pulling items apart.
Same wash as me, 30 min 30 degree quickwash, none of this fake 'hand-wash' cycle (did that once and it took 2 hours!). I generally hang mine on clothes airer/hangers (airing cupboard isn't big enough!).

A 'fragile' washbag I can recommend for jerseys & base layers, outer layers are generally 'hard wearing' enough to be washed together (zips closed & velcro closed) but I do tend to wash my 'winter' (softshell/thermal) jerseys with the bodies turned inside out (with arms 'inside') so any snags they pick up are in the inside shoftshell not on the outside. My summer shorts get their own wash as the amount of kit I get through means 2 washes a week/10 days in summer. During winter it's generally 1 wash every 8-10 days and the winter shorts go in it, generally inside out (same reason as above) but also so the pads get some agitation when washing rather than sitting 'protected' from powder/water inside the shorts.
My rapha and castelli showing very little sign of wear, but cheaper bibs will go quicker. My endura custom kit seemed to die the quickest tho, really poor quality.
My Castelli club kit is similar quality to the general Castelli & Sportful stuff, no problems with colour washing out etc. The couple of Santini club kit bits I have are terrible quality in comparison (and cost more!), they looked tired and worn after only a handful of washes. Would not buy again! :o :(

Soldato
OP
First off, kudos to Evans. I posted my shorts back to them on Thursday and e-mailed them to confirm. I replied a reply back asking for a tracking number (if available), then they e-mailed on Friday to confirm receipt and the shorts had gone to the warranty manager.

This morning I've had an automated e-mail saying I've had a refund of £95.

I thought the shorts were comfy, particular liked the leg grippers so do I order another pair or try a different brand? Decisions, decisions!

Soldato
OP
Having been having a surf today, I find the number of different models of shorts in the ranges of some brands, especially Castelli and Sportful mind-boggling!

Soldato
I have a pair of the Castelli Free Aero. they were good but I must have lost weight as they arent the snuggest fit now and as a result the chamois moves about a bit. I tend not to buy expensive gear and look for the value in mid range. The best shorts I have at present are these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-race-bib-shorts-black-edition/.I think I actually paid slightly less than the current price but they have been very good. I ordered these at the same time to try out http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-speed-bib-shorts/ but returned them. there wasnt much in it but I prefered the cut and fit around the legs of the ASV pair. Straps on the Aerons were better. My riding buddies all swear by the Rapha shorts with some having the Core ones and one preferring the Race model. Personally I'd rather buy a jersey and shorts for the same money. DHB stuff is in my opinion excellent quality and decent value.

Soldato
You may also find you 'progress' through different pads as your mileage & riding time increases/fitness increases/arse size decreases!

I found DHB & Northwave ok when I was quite large and only doing an hour or so, progressed to Castelli Evoluzione (KISS pads) when trimming weight/increasing miles and now I'm increasing time in the saddle (3+ hours) I've progressed again to Sportful Gruppetto (BodyFit Pro pad) and Castelli Endurance X2 (Progetto x2 pad). Both of these pads are quite wide and have thinner edges. The DHB and Northwave pads were thinner but caused numbness and I found they rubbed me more, the Evoluzione (KISS) pads are much thicker but they are not as wide and I found the firmer 'edges' of the pad caused numbness on longer rides (numb arse cheeks is a weird sensation!).

I can still ride on the 'lesser' pads but over long sessions my arse needs more recovery than the more expensive pads (hardly surprising)! On the turbo things are magnified and I'll almost exclusively use my 'best' shorts as I can experience discomfort after even 30 minutes on say the Castelli Evoluzione (thicker KISS pad) over the Endurance X2 (thinner wider Progetto x2 pad).

I'm still not totally sold on the pads I'm using, my next step is picking up some Rapha shorts as so many people swear by them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something worth considering too is not just the pad itself but it's placement within the short and also that you are wearing them in the correct position not having just thrown them on. For example not having the grippers down by your knees or the legs twisted as these will also change or distort the position of the pad and effect the fit.

Soldato
OP
Current shortlist

La Passione Summer Shorts - £84 (but can get 15% off first order)
Shutt VR Pro or Performance Shorts - £95 (10% off)
Pactimo Ascent Vector - £95
Pactimo Ascent Flash 2.0 - £125
Chapeau Pave - £115 (like the lifetime warranty / crash replacement, though expensive)
Prendas Santini SLEEK 2.0 - £85
Sportful Total Comfort - £120
DHB ASV Race - £75
Giordana Trade FR-C Bib Short - £98 (but I've found somewhere with them for £59)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're happy looking at £100+ then Rapha. If you're looking to save cash as much as possible by snagging them in deals, yet want reliable after sales/returns then anything 'well known' from Wiggle (DHB, Castelli & Sportful). Steer away from the Santini, the only pair of them I've worn were very poorly designed/fit and rubbish fabric/quality for the money. I don't know any of the others and not really spotted anyone wearing them (except maybe some Chapeau) so can't comment, I generally always go for the big name branded shorts. Everyone doing serious miles in the clubs I ride with wears Rapha/Castelli/DHB. But shorts/chamois fit is a very unique and personal thing!

Soldato
Love my Assos bibs. I've had two pairs of the same Autumn/Winter version over the past 5 years. The first pair began to perish just above the bum area. As though the stretch was going. I replaced with the same bibs and they have been fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom