Big estate/SUV - opinions please!

Soldato
Complete curveball (and I'm biased because I've ordered one), but what about the Tesla Model Y? It'll be circa £17k more than the budgets you've listed but you won't pay £500/year road tax, will probably save £2k/year in fuel and will likely be slow to depreciate versus the bubble that used car prices are in at the moment.

It won't have the 6 cylinder but has the 350bhp, boot(s), panoramic roof and adaptive cruise.

Soldato
OP
Complete curveball (and I'm biased because I've ordered one), but what about the Tesla Model Y? It'll be circa £17k more than the budgets you've listed but you won't pay £500/year road tax, will probably save £2k/year in fuel and will likely be slow to depreciate versus the bubble that used car prices are in at the moment.

It won't have the 6 cylinder but has the 350bhp, boot(s), panoramic roof and adaptive cruise.
Yeah, for depreciation reasons it would probably be the best performing! However, we don't like the Tesla interior after test driving a model 3. Hopefully the next family car will be an EV though.

Soldato
OP
None of them are 'good value - my Dad paid less than that in 2019 for a year old example! But, in the context of everything else I suppose it isn't too bad.

It has Driver Assistant Plus - this is exceptionally rare and includes the adaptive cruise. But it's a 640i xDrive - so all of the discussed pros/cons with the 540i come back into the decision.

If we ignore fuel consumption it is a very nicely specified example and will be a truly outstanding car. Whether you still think that at a petrol station in Europe is something else entirely :D

:( relative to other cars and in the current market it seems good value but shocking how cheap they were in 2019!

Caporegime

Serious range anxiety if the range/ability to cross europe is a big deal.

Caporegime
Yup both the links had ACC

The 630d was fully loaded! But I called up and it's got a reservation fee on it already. Got them seeing if the person wants it or not

Not surprised. In the current climate that was a reasonably priced car.

If it had been a 5 series with all those options it would have been £40k

Man of Honour
630d doesn't meet the criteria of >300bhp, has that constraint been relaxed? If we are actually looking for say >250bhp, or max 6s to 60mph, that potentially might open up more options, albeit not necessarily good ones.

Soldato
OP
630d doesn't meet the criteria of >300bhp, has that constraint been relaxed? If we are actually looking for say >250bhp, or max 6s to 60mph, that potentially might open up more options, albeit not necessarily good ones.
I am leaning that way and making a 630d acceptable. Fire away with suggestions...

Man of Honour
Fire away with suggestions...
Jag XF Sportbrake is the only one I can think of, that's not to say it is better than other options & I assume you already considered it alongside the F-Pace and preferred the latter.

6 series GT is a bit cheaper than I envisaged, I think technically it is not an Estate/SUV which is why it maybe flies under the radar a bit in these sort of discussions.

Soldato
OP
Jag XF Sportbrake is the only one I can think of, that's not to say it is better than other options & I assume you already considered it alongside the F-Pace and preferred the latter.

6 series GT is a bit cheaper than I envisaged, I think technically it is not an Estate/SUV which is why it maybe flies under the radar a bit in these sort of discussions.
Yeah definitely something I considered before shortlisting. XF Sportbrakes seem better value than the F Pace but they also have a bit of an ‘old man’ vibe to them which the SUV doesn’t. Also pretty sure adaptive cruise just doesn’t exist on those when scrolling through Autotrader as none of them have it

Soldato
I'd take the E400. Having had a lot of BMW's I recently changed to Mercedes and it's good to be in something different, and I really like the differences between the 2. Plus the E Class is an excellent all round car with a lot of space and creature comforts.

Caporegime

Yeah definitely something I considered before shortlisting. XF Sportbrakes seem better value than the F Pace but they also have a bit of an ‘old man’ vibe to them which the SUV doesn’t. Also pretty sure adaptive cruise just doesn’t exist on those when scrolling through Autotrader as none of them have it

Stick the XF in dynamic mode and you definitely don't get an old man vibe.

I think it'll probably be hard to find an XF with adaptive cruise. When I was looking I didn't see any with it. It's either standalone or comes in a pack.

Regarding the boot its large, length and width on par with the 5 series and E class give or take a couple of cms across them but it is technically the smallest by volume and that's because of its shape. Because it's curved rather than square(er) the height of the boot opening is 6cm lower than both 5 series and E class. Guess you'd only notice if you're stuffing right to the top though.

Also the tailgate doesn't open anywhere near as high as the other two and I regularly hit my head on the locking mechanism on the tailgate.

Soldato
OP
Well... I've just done a madness :eek:

Showed the 6GT to my wife and it got a flat no because she doesn't like the look :(

So after a chat with her I went and put a deposit on a V6 Supercharged petrol F Pace instead of a diesel one. Also been told after having 3 cars in 2021 that I have to stick with this for 2 years. If I make a new thread within that time it'll be because she's divorced me for constantly changing cars :D

Thanks for the help all and sorry I didn't get a BMW :p

Caporegime
As much as the F pace is nice to drive the interior just isnt a patch on Mercedes or BMW. I know which car I would want to do long distances in and the F Pace isnt one. :(

Man of Honour
Quite. Surprising that the decision has been made so quickly - I cannot see how the F Pace is a credible alternative to any of the cars discussed in this thread.

Even if we just look at it subjectively, it is a rival to the BMW X3 and Mercedes GLC - both cars that was never seriously considered in this thread because they simply are not as good as the cars that were discussed (Somebody mentioned an X4 and got rightly told 'No' :D), so it's not even a Jaguar v BMW v Mercedes thing.

To give you an idea, the list price of the cheapest 6 Series GT was 50% more than the list price of the cheapest F Pace when both were new...

Soldato
Yes - beauty is more than skin deep.
but, if you want an SUV format - let's face it many families do - then that trumps 6GT driving dynamics, just like a 0BIK ev does.

Back
Top Bottom