• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Big news for Nvidia/LG 2019 C9/E9 OLED owners - G-sync is coming!

Caporegime
This is great news

https://www.techradar.com/news/lg-oled-tvs-get-nvidia-g-sync-for-smooth-big-screen-gaming

While there are plenty of dedicated gaming monitors out there, if you have a high-spec, big-screen television like the LG C9 OLED, it makes financial sense to use it as a multi-purpose device, and the addition of Nvidia G-Sync will make it a tempting purchase to PC gamers with powerful rigs.

“It’s no secret LG OLED TVs are coveted by gamers the world over and we are committed to optimising the OLED gaming experience for them,” said Sam Kim, one of LG's Home Entertainment executives, in a press release sent to TechRadar.

“With NVIDIA G-SYNC adoption, we are showing that OLED TVs have the support and backing of the world’s top gaming hardware brand to make their products look their best," Kim added.

Nvidia G-Sync is set to come to the LG C9 OLED and LG E9 OLED in the coming weeks through a firmware update, meaning current owners of the 4K OLED televisions will get the patch for free – while new buyers will be getting it from day one.

Soldato
These have no G-Sync module so they are using adaptive sync. The good news is there should be no g-sync tax attached to them. They already have freesync so another decent step in the right direction for Nvidia to have g-sync running on TV's just took a bit longer for them to jump than I thought it would.

bru

bru

Soldato
The whole gsync module thing was always a marketing ploy IMO

It really wasn't and if you truly believe that it was then you do t really understand the technology at all.

Just because the software solution now works nearly as well as the hardware solution, doesn't make the hardware solution a marketing ploy. It just makes it almost obsolete, well certainly on its last legs anyway.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Saw this earlier. This is the OLED TV I have on my radar. Just waiting for Black Friday or for the 2020 TV line up to come out for the price to drop and I will pull the trigger :)

Soldato
Great news.

Before Pascal none of their cards could use adaptive sync, well apart from a few 980Tis.

Only the very first itteration of G-Sync via Kepler absolutely needed the module, Maxwell laptops supported software G-Sync, the architecture was capable, if Nv absolutely needed discrete software suport back then, I doubt they would have pooped it.

Just because the software solution now works nearly as well as the hardware solution

Nv's software solution on my laptop works every bit as well as my 2 module panels.

The FreeSync panel I had before I went G-Sync also worked just as well.

At the end of the day-Nv denied 'proprietary':p FreeSync support for years.

Suppose you could always :p me back since I got pumped for modules on more than one occasion.

Man of Honour
It really wasn't and if you truly believe that it was then you do t really understand the technology at all.

Just because the software solution now works nearly as well as the hardware solution, doesn't make the hardware solution a marketing ploy. It just makes it almost obsolete, well certainly on its last legs anyway.

A hardware solution has a number of features that current adaptive sync implementations using firmware tweaked scalers can't do - proper adaptive variable overdrive, additional buffers for handling windowed modes, less latency in lower framerate recovery situations, etc.

Unfortunately Microsoft broke a load of those features with an update to WDDM/DWM in Windows 10 :(

Soldato
Only the very first itteration of G-Sync via Kepler absolutely needed the module, Maxwell laptops supported software G-Sync, the architecture was capable, if Nv absolutely needed discrete software suport back then, I doubt they would have pooped it..

Adaptive Sync support doesn't depend on the Architecture of the card. It has nothing to with it. It depends on whether the card meets the display port 1.2a certification or not and supporting that needs hardware on the GPU side. Any laptop that has an embedded display port can be made to work with Adaptive sync without any sort of added hardware/module because of the embedded display port standards.

Associate
Soldato
Adaptive Sync support doesn't depend on the Architecture of the card. It has nothing to with it. It depends on whether the card meets the display port 1.2a certification or not and supporting that needs hardware on the GPU side. Any laptop that has an embedded display port can be made to work with Adaptive sync without any sort of added hardware/module because of the embedded display port standards.

Well aware the specifics on AS delivery.:)

All I'm saying is if Nv 'absolutely had to' support software AS, Maxwell onwards would have used display port 1.2a certification.
Which negates the need for a module, could have been done on board with Maxwell via -they deliberately choose not to support display port 1.2a, again if 'they had to due to competition', they would have.

TLDR-To be abundantly clear without any semantics, Nv milked the AS market with a module-years after it wasn't a requirement.

Soldato
Well aware the specifics on AS delivery.:)

All I'm saying is if Nv 'absolutely had to' support software AS, Maxwell onwards would have used display port 1.2a certification.
Which negates the need for a module, could have been done on board with Maxwell via -they deliberately choose not to support display port 1.2a, again if 'they had to due to competition', they would have.

TLDR-To be abundantly clear without any semantics, Nv milked the AS market with a module-years after it wasn't a requirement.

Nope, only a few late manufactured 980Ti's were able to use display port 1.2a. No other Maxwell cards had the hardware needed.

Soldato
So adaptivesync with a G-sync sticker on it :D

Having owned both freesync and g-sync monitors. G-sync was always a farce and was never worth the extra cost.

Back
Top Bottom