Big Sony PS3 announcment coming 31st March?

Soldato
Let the rumour mill roll
From Kotaku,
ony dropped Kotaku a line to let us know that something is going down on Tuesday, March 31st. Could it be the long-rumored price cut is finally upon us?

Or could it be something completely different? Rumors have been doing little twirly things all over the internet over the past few weeks regarding a potential PlayStation 3 price cut, and while our first thought was "Why would they announce it several days after GDC?", apparently they are indeed announcing something several days after GDC. Go figure.

We're leaning towards a price cut, but we've got a sneaking suspicion that it's the PlayStation 2 dropping to $99, and not a cut for the PlayStation 3.

All we know so far is that they're announcing something. There's only one thing to do now. Let the wild speculation begin! What do you think/hope/dream Sony is announcing?

Another Source http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/E8V5R9D3
Big PS3 Announcement Tipped This Week

By David Richards | Sunday | 29/03/2009
Sony Computer Entertainment is set to make a global announcement this week regarding the PS3 which has witnessed three months of declining sales with Tuesday, March 31 which is Wednesday in Australia set to be the big day.

Analysts are tipping either a massive price drop for the PS3 or the launch of a brand new browser and online content.

Some sites have mentioned Price cuts, PS2 BC coming back in, some new super Firmware etc etc. I can only think if its been announced already and its global it has to be something pretty major. The 31 March is the end of the FY for Sony so somthing related to price may be a factor. Any other ideas? My one total off the wall comment and hightly unlikely is a PS3 slim with a price cut coming.

Soldato
Seeing as i'm currently trying to play MGS3 through again but my controller cable doesn't reach the sofa, i would love it to be backwards compatibility, also the PS2 is LOUD!

Doubt it'll be that tho, my guess is a $100 price cut for the PS3

Soldato
PS3 Slim with ps2 emulation.

I hope. :)

They'd be insane to introduce a slim right now as it would be more expensive to manufacture; they're already struggling to pull a profit on the fat and releasing a more expensive model would be financial suicide.

I would also hate it if they introduced a new model that had hardware BC, software emulation is the way to go as it can then be reused in future playstations.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually am also hoping for a price cut despite already owning a PS3; all my friends that are interested in gaming have been waiting for the PS3 to become £200 before they buy it, out of the two that have 'next gen' consoles, one has the 360, and he'll be selling that for a PS3.

Not saying my mates are an accurate representation of the masses or anything like that, i'll just be happy to see more of my mates getting on the PSN.

The downside is if he sells his 360 i'll no longer have access to one, meaning i'll have to buy my own.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was under the impression Sony said they would never charge for playing online?

I'm not up to gen with anything Sony have said so I don't know to be honest, but I bet they will introduce something that will have a sub for. Nintendo is thinking that way as well (which will completely fail).

Soldato
Nintendo has completely failed in every way for me in terms of home consoles this gen.

The Gamecube was much better.

yeh lol I bought a wii a couple of years ago now thinking it was a gaming revolution.

Last game I bought was Mario Galaxy, now theres zip all games - no mention fo starfox, donley kong, or anything from my retro years.

Admittedly I havent read any gossip sites.

I bet the ps3 is due a price drop. Doesn't really matter to me as I already have one.

Soldato
I'm not up to gen with anything Sony have said so I don't know to be honest, but I bet they will introduce something that will have a sub for. Nintendo is thinking that way as well (which will completely fail).

They already have it, it's called qore and it gives early access to demos and all sorts of developer videos etc. Tis quite popular in the US from what i hear.

Back
Top Bottom