1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big trouble in little China

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by nightrider1470, Feb 23, 2017.

1. nightrider1470

Suspended

Probably my top 3 favourite of movies of all time!!.

How the hell was this a flop when it first released??

Amazing movie!!!

2. Uncle Petey

Capodecina

[​IMG]

3. Burr

Gangster

There's lots of quality movie's that don't do well at the box office sadly. Dune, Blade Runner, etc. Box office returns mean very little to me, especially today. Big Trouble is an unusual film and i don't think many movie goers knew how to take it.

4. sneakysnail

Wise Guy

Yup and now commercial flops get sequels to cash in on the cult classic name. God I hate Hollywood!

The sequel/remake or what ever it is will no doubt make a tonne more money 2. It's like how Stallone made more money from expendables than he did from all his classics like Rambo/rocky combined.

5. SkeeterUK

Capodecina

Was ok when i first watched it but looking back on it i can see it was a bit meh as in cheesy and daft. Dont think i would like it nowadays if i watched it now.

6. Uncle Petey

Capodecina

It was supposed to be cheesy and daft.

7. ElectroBlaster

Soldato

I love this movie! First time I ever watched it, thought yeh it is ok. Bit of martial arts action etc then the three storms appear out of nowhere and that did it for me! Been a fan of it ever since :)

8. Gerard

Caporegime

I entered this thread expecting to see it going to be remade. :eek:

9. Chojin

Wise Guy

I've seen most 80s films but not this one for some reason. It was either never on TV or I was sheltered from cheesy and daft films as a kid.

10. partycan

Gangster

It's my number 1 film, remember listening to the commentary on the DVD release and getting an insight into the making of the film. You can tell John Carpenter and Kurt Russell had a blast making the film and how nobody got the joke first time round that Jack Burton was the sidekick! (didn't realise this till they discussed it)

Mind was Blown that day :D

11. Grimley

Soldato

I think that is what makes it so appealing to a lot of people. Me included.

I remember watching this with my sister's boys when they were little. The youngest one (5-6 years old at the time, feared nothing) said how Scary Lo-pan was & that surprised me.

12. ElectroBlaster

Soldato

Exactly what I thought!

13. Marsman

Capodecina

It is going to be remade. Only thing I know about it is Dwayne Johnson will be playing Jack.

Thankfully this thread is about the love for the superior original. :D

14. Destination

Capodecina

Remake? Really?
    Well it will be determined 100% by whoever they get to play the girl with green eyes.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

15. Marsman

Capodecina

Yeah. :( Link

Although according the John Carpenter, no one's spoken to him about it. Link Just The Rock's word that it is going to happen.

It seems that Johnson's got a lot of love for the original film, so if this is does indeed happen, he can at least get some say and input this film; that surely has got to be vastly better than putting any remake into the hands of people that don't give a **** about the original, and see this as nothing more than a cash grab. Ultimately, it would be better if they left it alone, but this is Hollywood, and that is unlikely.

Of course, someone involved in a remake and having respect for the source material and wanting to do it justice, doesn't always turn out the way they would like. Look at the Robocop reboot. Jose Padilha had a load of ideas he wanted to do with the film, but most of them were rejected by the studio. I think that would have been a much better film had he been left to get on with it, without than studio execs sticking their oar in. That was with a good but little known director and a little known main actor though. Hopefully The Rock's star power can persuade the suits with the money not to meddle.

16. hyperseven

Soldato

Fixed.

17. OspreyO

Mobster

One of favorite move's. Cheesy yes. 80's, so yes. Probably why I like it so much.

18. Punt

Wise Guy

A great movie! Not in need of a remake imo.

I think I'll have to track it down and give it a watch, been quite a few years!

19. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

Picked up the BD cheap earlier today for a re-watch this afternoon ... guy in the shop commented "ah, a classic

20. CircleFaust

Mobster

great film, would like to see a bluray of it