Biggest disappointment of all time?

Caporegime
This gen I found Alan wake and bioshock two of the most over hyped piles of pap. Especially Alan wake, years of hype for some of the most boring on rails predictable tripe.

Mass effect 1 bored the bits off me too after expecting so much more after the glorious kotor.

Hmmm out of the three I'd go mass effect as the others I Atleast finished for gs.

Caporegime
The biggest disappointment for me personally is Gran Turismo 5, I just don't understand what they did during those 5 years. I still find it incredibly frustrating that they didn't even have time to make every car equal in quality, on launch we had 100 or so excellent looking cars, all lovingly recreated, apparently Polyphony even going as far as recreating the internal wiring of each premium model. Then we had the standard models which were little more than imports from GT3, GT4 and the PSP version, they looked terrible in comparison to the premium models and it's a really sore point with me, considering most of the more interesting cars are standard models. I don't know the exact reason why this happened but it smacks of poor time management.

Then Polyphony decided they were going to omit a chunk of the tracks which had made an appearance during previous GT games, this would be fine by me if they were the more anonymous tracks like Midfield Raceway but they weren't, they were the awesome tracks like Special Stage Route 11, Seattle Circuit, Costa di Amalfi and Tahiti Maze. The track list seems to be padded out with variations of the same track, I don't even know how many different versions of Fuji Speedway a game needs. :p

The upgrading of vehicles seemed a bit odd as well, people who play Forza have been spoiled with the sheer number of options available, you can do pretty much whatever you please, in GT5 you can't even swap engines, you can tune the current engine, that's about as far as it goes. You can't even buy upgraded brakes which is just downright retarded in my opinion. Where has the customisation from the first two games disappeared to? The online mode feels rushed and watered down, a few more "fun" modes wouldn't have gone amiss.

I would have liked to have seen the single player event list relate to which licenses you hold too, I remember the sheer rage of trying to get the International A in the earlier games of the series, purely so I could play more races and unlock more cars, all we have in GT5 is an XP based system, in fact I don't even know why the licenses are in the game because they don't appear to relate to any of the races I've taken part in. Also it would have been nice if we could have had random prize cars like in the earlier games, instead of a fixed prize car for every race, it basically gives me zero incentive to try those races again.

That's without even mentioning the screen tearing, the horrific shadows which are aliased to ****, and the poor variety of engine sounds. Did they really spend a 5 year time and money budget on this? Or did half of it get wasted on Yamauchi's seemingly constant forays into jetsetting and motorsport? :rolleyes:

Associate
Final Fantasy 8, what a let down after 7. I'm surprised so many people actually enjoyed it. Forgettable characters and story and a horrible magic system and all enemies levelled up with you so you were actually better off staying as low a level as you could.

I never bothered with 9 and skipped the ones on playstation 2. Got 13 and that was even worse than eight. Worse story and even worse characters and magic system and also incredibly linear to boot :p Only saving grace was the voice actor of lightning, could listen to her all day.

Associate
I found Wind Waker disappointing too. Didn't like the dungeons or much of the boss battles. In fact it's about the only Zelda game I played where none of the dungeons stay in memory. Actually, no, I remember the stealth part at the sea fortress - highlight area of the game. The game was clearly rushed however.

Enjoyed the fighting mechanics and visuals more than anything else.

I can't think what my actual most disappointing game is of all time though.

Associate
Every PES since 2008

GTAIV- only gta game I haven't had my own copy of (played my bros a fair bit hated it). It was a shame because the concept was decent, dodgy eastern European gangsters. But after GTA3, vice city, San Andreas it was a poor showing.

COD black ops/black ops 2. Mw2 would have been an awesome game if it wasn't for the glitches/ op noob tubes and rockets and the retarded drop shots.

fallout 3; probably just a personal thing I couldn't get into it

Farcry2, again had the potential to be awesome but my copy glitched on a crucial mission, making it uncompleteable and I'd already overwritten the save point, didn't have the heart to pick it up again

Soldato
Far Cry 2 - Pretty to look at but horrendous and boring to play. Oh and you start with malaria which you have to go out of your way to get medication for.

Modern Warfare 2 - I had such high hopes for this after CoD4. All hopes were dashed upon playing it.

Gran Turismo 5 - Polyphony absolute ages to make this but once it was release it had a handful of fully detailed ('premium') cars and just a generally bland and boring game overall. What I personally wanted was Gran Tursimo 3 but with better graphics and more customization options and while it delivered on the graphics it was still a massive disappointment considering how long it took to release.

Soldato
Agreed, was genuinley looking forward to having a ME marathon of all three games, but now it all seems some what pointless.

The mechanics of the game were better in 3 than 2, in my opinion. The whole thing was just a log smoother and had a better feel to it. I even used the voice commands a heck of a lot.

The storytelling new though, was insanely bad. Asside from tali's romance (only one I have tried so far to be fair) and Mordin's final scene (made me quite emotional!) it was forgettable and made 1 and 2 meaningless. Dozens of decisions made through 3 games boiled down to choosing a, b or c at the end with near identical final scenes.

Associate
Halo 2 - Campaign felt rushed and had a spectacular ending. :rolleyes:

Gears of War 2 - Multi player was horrendous compared to the first, which had a host of problems itself!

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Forced to play the majority of the game as some pleb with girly blonde hair, nowhere near the greatness of the PS1 original.

Fable - promised RPG greatness and delivered a very linear action adventure game.

Unreal Tournament 3 - Somehow lost it's magic.

Modern Warfare 2 - Thought I was playing a James Bond game, jumping across ravines on snowmobiles in the first mission!?

GTA IV - Promised to be the most realistic, living, breathing city ever in GTA but it was lifeless and lacking the 'fun' of previous games. Oh look there's a skatepark but you can't use it.....etc

Resident Evil 4 - Came out to universal acclaim, I hated it. Controls and game mechanics were already dated, even back then. Seems most people level these criticisms @ 5/6 but I distinctly remember feeling this way about #4.

Duke Nukem Forever - The less said about this the better...

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Wind Waker was awesome!

However, big disapointments:

Unreal 2 - Took everything that made the original amazing, and then threw it away to leave a generic run and gun shooter with no soul.

Crysis 2 - As above.

Far Cry 2 - As above.

Associate
Was GTA4 too serious for some people? I thought it was ok but didnt "enjoy" it as much as previous games and thats the only reason i can really think of. The Ballad of Gay Tony however was great fun, more like the old days of GTA.

Its not a PC game, but the Zelda Skyward Sword just didnt do it for me, lost interest quite early on.

Also cannot be doing with games when people say, oh it gets better after 10 hours, sorry but you need to interest me in the first hour, not the 10th.

Back
Top Bottom