Biggest disappointment of all time?

Soldato
The biggest disappointment for me personally is Gran Turismo 5, I just don't understand what they did during those 5 years. I still find it incredibly frustrating that they didn't even have time to make every car equal in quality, on launch we had 100 or so excellent looking cars, all lovingly recreated, apparently Polyphony even going as far as recreating the internal wiring of each premium model. Then we had the standard models which were little more than imports from GT3, GT4 and the PSP version, they looked terrible in comparison to the premium models and it's a really sore point with me, considering most of the more interesting cars are standard models. I don't know the exact reason why this happened but it smacks of poor time management.

Then Polyphony decided they were going to omit a chunk of the tracks which had made an appearance during previous GT games, this would be fine by me if they were the more anonymous tracks like Midfield Raceway but they weren't, they were the awesome tracks like Special Stage Route 11, Seattle Circuit, Costa di Amalfi and Tahiti Maze. The track list seems to be padded out with variations of the same track, I don't even know how many different versions of Fuji Speedway a game needs. :p

The upgrading of vehicles seemed a bit odd as well, people who play Forza have been spoiled with the sheer number of options available, you can do pretty much whatever you please, in GT5 you can't even swap engines, you can tune the current engine, that's about as far as it goes. You can't even buy upgraded brakes which is just downright retarded in my opinion. Where has the customisation from the first two games disappeared to? The online mode feels rushed and watered down, a few more "fun" modes wouldn't have gone amiss.

I would have liked to have seen the single player event list relate to which licenses you hold too, I remember the sheer rage of trying to get the International A in the earlier games of the series, purely so I could play more races and unlock more cars, all we have in GT5 is an XP based system, in fact I don't even know why the licenses are in the game because they don't appear to relate to any of the races I've taken part in. Also it would have been nice if we could have had random prize cars like in the earlier games, instead of a fixed prize car for every race, it basically gives me zero incentive to try those races again.

That's without even mentioning the screen tearing, the horrific shadows which are aliased to ****, and the poor variety of engine sounds. Did they really spend a 5 year time and money budget on this? Or did half of it get wasted on Yamauchi's seemingly constant forays into jetsetting and motorsport? :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Thank **** for Forza.

Caporegime
GTA IV 'too serious' ? haha! Did people not listen or pay attention to anything? It was brilliant.

I'm not sure though, there have been loads of games that have promised so much but delievered so little. Spore? Call of Duty, basically them all except 1, 2 & 4? Warhammer Online? The Old Republic?

kdd

kdd

Soldato
GT5 is excellent, as far as being a driving sim goes, it has it locked down. Some people LIVE GT5. It's a great game.

Associate
You mean a Triad main character like in Chinatown Wars which according to Metacritic is actually the highest rated game on the Nintendo DS and the second highest on the PSP?

I'm talking about consoles rather than portables sorry. Chinatown wars was a very good game.

I meant as in like they tried to do with gta4, mix it up a little but go too far into making the story different that they lose the whole ethos of their franchise.

Agreed GTA will never 'flop' as the same crowd of over excited 13 year olds that keep funding CODs repetitions will buy it regardless of content just to jump on the franchise bandwagon

Caporegime
I didn't have any gripes with GTA IV, I thought it was excellent throughout. There was plenty of humour, be it on the radio chat shows, adverts, TV shows, pedestrian conversations, the comedy club and cabaret club, the endless amount of parodies, even the physics engine could be described as humour, especially in the way pedestrians react when you run them over, or when you blow somebody sky high with a rocket or grenade.

There was more than enough to do after the end of the game too, what with the street races, car delivery missions via email and the harder ones via text message with only a vague description of a vehicles location, most wanted missions via the police computer, hidden (pigeons) packages, unique stunt jumps, taxi missions, assassination missions, pool, bowling and darts minigames and then the multiplayer of course. If someone is a fan of the GTA series I don't understand how they couldn't enjoy this game, it's a blast.

Caporegime
I'm talking about consoles rather than portables sorry. Chinatown wars was a very good game.

I meant as in like they tried to do with gta4, mix it up a little but go too far into making the story different that they lose the whole ethos of their franchise.

Agreed GTA will never 'flop' as the same crowd of over excited 13 year olds that keep funding CODs repetitions will buy it regardless of content just to jump on the franchise bandwagon

You're right they must be kicking themselves that they made a game that not only sold ridiculously well it also got some of the highest ratings ever from critics :(

Associate
I didn't have any gripes with GTA IV, I thought it was excellent throughout. There was plenty of humour, be it on the radio chat shows, adverts, TV shows, pedestrian conversations, the comedy club and cabaret club, the endless amount of parodies, even the physics engine could be described as humour, especially in the way pedestrians react when you run them over, or when you blow somebody sky high with a rocket or grenade.

There was more than enough to do after the end of the game too, what with the street races, car delivery missions via email and the harder ones via text message with only a vague description of a vehicles location, most wanted missions via the police computer, hidden (pigeons) packages, unique stunt jumps, taxi missions, assassination missions, pool, bowling and darts minigames and then the multiplayer of course. If someone is a fan of the GTA series I don't understand how they couldn't enjoy this game, it's a blast.

iItotally agree with you that there was loads to do nd iIjust can't understand why I didn't have as much fun.

Soldato
The new xcom game

Yes it's a great game but such a disappointment for the fans of the original had the potential to do so much more :(

Caporegime
I think a lot of people's problem with GTA IV was that it lost its cartoon style. It's hilarious and brilliant through out :)

Mafia II was a disappointment, but it was a good game, I think I expected too much of it.

Soldato
GTA IV 'too serious' ? haha! Did people not listen or pay attention to anything? It was brilliant.

I'm not sure though, there have been loads of games that have promised so much but delievered so little. Spore? Call of Duty, basically them all except 1, 2 & 4? Warhammer Online? The Old Republic?

GTA 4 game play wise sucked, especially the driving the driving physics are terrible

Soldato
GTA 4 game play wise sucked, especially the driving the driving physics are terrible

based on previous GTA games? lol.

or are you comparing it to a driving sim?

I admit the handling and such could be better, what i wouldn't give for more throttle control in GTA4 thank god the mod community for the pc made it hugely more re-playable.

even if you just went on the drive a few cars.

but saying it was a disappointment for that is not cool, unless you bought it thinking it was a driving sim with a murderous sandbox add on lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom