Bike advice for a newbie

Associate
mountain bike helmets generall extend much further down the back of your head to provide maximum coverage. Road helmets are less so. If you have long hair and requrie abit more clearance in the back, then try to look for road helemt. there are all kind of technologies that claim to protect you better than others, but just get whatever fits that doesnt weight too much. generally for most roads (including gravel/cobbles) 350g and above is starting to feel heavy. below 300g, manufacturers start to claim they are lightweight.

This may be useful for you:
https://intheknowcycling.com/2018/08/12/aero-helmet/?_sm_byp=iVVvvMp5s5s7LjkH

i found his articles/opinions abit too strong for me, but none the less he covers some good stuff. like roundness/ovality of each brand offerings.

Soldato
This. If you have a stupidly large head like me, you need a XL which usually reduces your choice down to 1, maybe 2!
Same, also one brands L and anothers L are not the same size!

For example, generally L sizing is up to 62-63cm but you will find some brands where it's only 59cm. Some even within their own ranges, one model L is up to 59cm, another is 61cm. Labels inside will generally tell you the range. Some are just better fits than others - Specialized L helmets fit me well (my daily is an Echelon L 57-63cm) but I stupidly bought an L KASK Infinity (measured my head at 62cm, which is max fit on it) but it's uncomfortable - being at the extremes of fit means my forehead presses against the front of the shell. Lesson learnt - never buy a £180 helmet without trying one on first! ;)

Back
Top Bottom