Bike insurance for a 24 year old

Associate
Hi guys I've had my licence 3 years now did my DAS in 2009 when I was 21. Still not got round to buying a bike due to work and buying a house etc.

Now I've finally got to the stage where I'm getting the bike bug and recently been looking at insurance. The bike I would like is a 2007-2008 ZX6-R. But insurance seems to be crazy. £2000+ for the year.

I've tried other similar bikes (GSXR,R6 etc) with the same result. Am I to expect this with me being young and having no NCB?

I'm sure only a year ago I was getting quotes much less than this and being a year younger.

Anyone no of some companies who I can try for cheaper quotes?

Cheers

Matt

Soldato
Try swinton bikes i started riding when i was 24 (im 26 now) and i paid £950 full comp for my honda hornet. Now im paying £440 after only riding for 2 years.

Associate
as soon as it is a supersport you can double or triple your quote.

for a triumph daytona 675 i was quoted about £4000 for a year. however for the street triple r £1300.

so you may want to look for a good naked bike for a bit then when you get some no claims trade her out for something with fairings if that is still what you want.

Associate
OP
as soon as it is a supersport you can double or triple your quote.

for a triumph daytona 675 i was quoted about £4000 for a year. however for the street triple r £1300.

so you may want to look for a good naked bike for a bit then when you get some no claims trade her out for something with fairings if that is still what you want.

I think your right with that matey. Really wanted a sports bike though that's the annoying thing. I do like the triumph street triple though and look more than capable as a first bike.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Stuman is right. Look around at Sports Tourers find one you like & get a quote on it. With personal experience I can say that Sports bikes are not the ideal bike to own for road use.
A Sports tourer will be much more comfortable on long trips will get used more will be cheaper to run & will still have untold performance in it.
I went for an All purpose bike myself after buying a ZX7R & doing a 1000 miles in a month & realising that it wasn't what I wanted or needed. Now I have my BMW F650 I'm happy comfortable safer & use it in all weathers & it costs me 10 quid a month to insure & does 65'ish to the gallon.
I do plan on buying a Honda Hornet as well soon I'm just on a cash raise as we speak, I do plan on having 5 bikes in all though.
Horses for courses & all that.

Associate
OP
I'm just a bit of a sucker for the sports bike. I like the looks of them more than anything. A street triple I presume is no slouch.

I have just got a quote on the Triple R at £550 for the year. That's a better number!!

Soldato
Im currently paying £680 on a Suzuki SV650 with no NCB and only having licence 1 week and I'm 26. Premium was £580 but added personal protection and gear cover to it as well.

Associate
Welcome to the BMW club 4T5!

I'll second that Sports Tourer is a good idea. And nakeds. My F800ST is about 450, though a Sprint ST was 1200 ish, and a street triple was about 450 too. K1300S... about three times that hehe.

SV650 Sport might be a good shout as a first bike, clip-ons etc, still bargain to insure though, if I recall.

Caporegime
personally id choose an older machine,98-2000,newer bikes will be a huge leap in insurance and tbh the older ones are better/tougher

bikes like the zx6r g1/g2/j1/j2
and the r6,suzuki gsxr,plenty fast enough almost do the clock 170mph,you dont have to plug them into a laptop either to fix em like the newer stuff,the fairings are like tissue paper on modern bikes

Associate
Welcome to the BMW club 4T5!

I'll second that Sports Tourer is a good idea. And nakeds. My F800ST is about 450, though a Sprint ST was 1200 ish, and a street triple was about 450 too. K1300S... about three times that hehe.

SV650 Sport might be a good shout as a first bike, clip-ons etc, still bargain to insure though, if I recall.

I just got my k5 SV down to £120 tpft with 2 years NCB at 24 which I'm v.happy with :)

Associate
OP
Well I've been looking around and seen a nice 09 Street triple R in my local dealer. If I am going to commit to a bike I think it will be the Triumph. I would say a little more forgiving as a first bike?

I think I will be rather apprehensive when it comes to finally riding a road bike as the last time a rode one was when I did my test 3 years ago. I'm sure ill soon pick things up mind.

Thanks for the insurance recommendations also guys I am getting reasonable quotes online for the Triumph anyway.

Associate
yes, a little more forgiving but still can scare the pants off of you!

also a lot more versatile i use mine for a daily commute as well as for having fun. its a little more upright so poking it through traffic is a bit better (or so I've been told).

I'll get some pictures up once i've found a good host!

Back
Top Bottom