Bike recommendation (injury recovery)

Soldato
Its a question which has liklely been asked before but hopefully i can get some advice.

Was in a pretty serious motorcycle accident a few years ago which has left me with mobility problems due to an injury to my left leg.

For the last 6 months or so i finally too the step to start working on my health with some exercise which for me was by starting swimming. Ive been a regular swimmer since going 3-4 times per week after work.

Since the lockdown ive let myself go again and figure getting myself a bike for my daily exercise will allow me to get out and some fresh air as well as hopefully building some muscle in my leg and helping with weight loss.

My current weight is about 18st altho when i started the swimming i was around 20.

Im looking for a bike which wont have any problems coping with someone with a bit of extra weight, budget wise id like to keep price below £500, something which will be a good all rounder.

Any recommendations appreciated

Soldato
Most decent bikes should cope with an 18st rider, the first question really, is what sort of bike do you want, what sort of riding do you envisage yourself doing? Road, towpath, bridleway,trails?

A good all rounder I suppose would be a flat bar hybrid (rigid forks) , or a hard tail MTB (front suspension).

Soldato
If it's a road bike you decide on, it will be the wheel spec that might be worth an extra look. Some do have weight limits under around 110kg. Everything else should be fine.

Soldato
OP
ty for the replies folks, been doing quite the bit of reading about and like the look of hardtail MTB. Ive seen a few recommendations for the fat tire bikes but im guessing they are more for off roading / gravel stuff.

The area where i live has quite varied areas nearby, towpaths, industrial estates, some off road trails so im quite lucky that way. The biggest issue ive been having is finding a model which places have in stock.

Soldato
Yeah there are a few different types of 'fat' tyres, there's proper 'fat bikes' like this https://icancycling.com/blogs/articles/do-i-want-a-full-suspension-fat-bike#

But there are also 'plus' tyres, which are a bit smaller, denoted by 27.5+/650b+, 29+. etc.

Both of which require frames and forks designed to accommodate them as they are wider, and both of which seem to have fallen out of fashion, not unsurprisingly.

For an all rounder to get back into cycling, I'd stay away from niche things like that, and just go for a more regular hard-tail with the best spec you can get for your budget.

Although, as you've said, it seems a lot of, if not all, decent entry level bikes are just sold out now. I guess every man and his dog has been out buying them due to lockdown restrictions... I've never seen my local cycling routs so busy with new faces I've never seen before.

Back
Top Bottom