Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Hell no, I'm about to hit my third tank of the week - pretty much all of it randomly riding around. With this weather - it'd be a crime not to ;).

Hmmm, you make it sound a bit better. I was just thinking two tanks seems a lot! :D Well to me anyway.

Exactly, I enjoy just getting out on the bike in the sun, even if it's just pootling around country villages.

I tend to do that a lot, find new places to go. Although, I like going through towns, seem to get a lot of attention from people (is that just a biker thing?). I pulled up to a junction earlier on today and a lad came over to ask me about the bike and went alongside when traffic was moving :D
Normally people pay no attention to me, so it feels quite good. Maybe it's that sense of mystery as they don't know how old you are, or what you look like etc...

Just noticed it more and more I do out - and it's a pretty cool thing to be honest.

Edit: oh forgot to mention. Almost had someone have me off today. I saw the junction, someone pulled out on the other side of the road I had a feeling about something - this lass who thought she would pull out really quick in a tweaked Corsa pulled half way across me - I gave a handful of front brake (lucky I was doing 25 ish) and obviously trying to impress the guy in the car she laughed...

I was fuming. She pulled behind me. I wanted to out it on the side stand there and then and have a word because it was stupid she didn't even look. It was not nice because my chest was like proper pounding in like a happy I didn't drop it, but mad about it kind of thing.
Normally I don't get flustered, it's the fact she laughed.

Idiots is all I can say. Just makes you remember to have eyes everywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah you get that all the time, people who start pulling out before you've passed. They don't see anything wrong with it, but of course we don't know if they've seen us and are just trying to make a gap in the traffic or are actually pulling out and haven't see us... :rolleyes:

Then there's your typical BMW driving self important school run mum who pulls out and doesn't even acknowledge you :rolleyes:

Much like this bird.
GzKYGYf.png

It wasn't an issue as I didn't even have to brake, was only doing 20mph and saw her well before she'd started to pull out, but a hand up to say sorry would go a long way.

Last edited:
Soldato
I love getting out on the bike, although there's always less and less time these days, mostly due to work and looking after increasingly needy parents.

I do lose interest in riding the same roads again and again, and that takes away some of my appetite to ride whenever I'm free. So these days I put more effort into having fewer rides but making them more memorable. That doesn't mean going over to Europe for every ride, but does mean that they're more planned and normally with a mate or two.

Organised rides with mates can be a real ball ache though. Inevitably there's one who never wants to help plan, another who won't plan but disagrees with everything that somebody else plans, someone who wants to smash through as many miles as possible per hour etc etc. Once I complete Norway in 2017 I'm sure the following year I'm just going to bugger off to Spain or somewhere on my own for a week and just do whatever I want to do and hopefully meet some interesting people along the way.

Associate
Work colleague came on his Ducati 748 today. 1997 model which is immaculate, never seen a bike so clean, it only has just over 4000 miles on the clock, he has owned it from new and it has never been out in the wet. He is a mechanic so everything is spot on, sounds great with the Termignoni exhaust system. Gotta love Ducati's. :eek:

PjEYAkLh.jpg
oaR5eodh.jpg
cxWCuS9h.jpg
sUVaroph.jpg

Soldato
I love getting out on the bike, although there's always less and less time these days, mostly due to work and looking after increasingly needy parents.

I do lose interest in riding the same roads again and again, and that takes away some of my appetite to ride whenever I'm free. So these days I put more effort into having fewer rides but making them more memorable. That doesn't mean going over to Europe for every ride, but does mean that they're more planned and normally with a mate or two.

Organised rides with mates can be a real ball ache though. Inevitably there's one who never wants to help plan, another who won't plan but disagrees with everything that somebody else plans, someone who wants to smash through as many miles as possible per hour etc etc. Once I complete Norway in 2017 I'm sure the following year I'm just going to bugger off to Spain or somewhere on my own for a week and just do whatever I want to do and hopefully meet some interesting people along the way.

That's one of the plus sides of solo touring, you get to go exactly where you want!! :D

You'll always meet people in pubs/cafes/campsites and so-on, and then when it comes to riding time it's just you and the bike :cool:

I'll admit though I am running out of roads in Kent to ride :( I have a few favourite roads and loops but riding the same roads over and over can get a little boring, maybe that's why I've got so many Euro trips planned/in the planning.

Man of Honour
I think we need to plan an OcUK meet in the Alps.

I have just bought a house with a 10mx10m guest room with its own separate kitchen and toilet/shower, with 2 spare bed rooms. I live right between the Alp and Jura mountain ranges (20 minutes ride to the start of either one.

Garage and drive space for a load of bikes too.

Soldato
Work colleague came on his Ducati 748 today. 1997 model which is immaculate, never seen a bike so clean, it only has just over 4000 miles on the clock, he has owned it from new and it has never been out in the wet. He is a mechanic so everything is spot on, sounds great with the Termignoni exhaust system. Gotta love Ducati's. :eek:

http://i.imgur.com/PjEYAkLh.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oaR5eodh.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cxWCuS9h.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/sUVaroph.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

4000 miles? Does he not like riding it? Or just aware that it's an expensive old rattly Italian thing? ;)

Soldato
I think we need to plan an OcUK meet in the Alps.

I have just bought a house with a 10mx10m guest room with its own separate kitchen and toilet/shower, with 2 spare bed rooms. I live right between the Alp and Jura mountain ranges (20 minutes ride to the start of either one.

Garage and drive space for a load of bikes too.

Now you're talking :D

Man of Honour
Now you're talking :D

It won't happen this year as I have so much on my plate this summer, but maybe next year.

You might need a big boys bike though as bikes lose a lot of power once you get 4km above sea level. Even the Street Triple with its great power to weight ratio feels sluggish up there.

Soldato
It won't happen this year as I have so much on my plate this summer, but maybe next year.

You might need a big boys bike though as bikes lose a lot of power once you get 4km above sea level. Even the Street Triple with its great power to weight ratio feels sluggish up there.

Oh yeah that's a must - I noticed it when I had luggage on the CB400 in Wales, so a few KG of luggage and high altitude would make it feel slow as hell!

I'll have a Tuono by then ;)

Associate
I nearly ran someone down today!

Clear road, turning round a wide curving corner into another clear road, had some lean on the bike but doing 25-30ish. A guy just walks into the road, I brake which pulls my bike upright, rather than get back out the road, he continues running right where I'm trying to emergency brake.

I stop literally an inch from him(!) He just mumbles something so I carry on.

Hopefully he'll learn to not run out in front of bikes.

Back
Top Bottom