Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Bit chilly on the hands this morning, might have to buy the heated gloves soon... I have no heated grips on the VFR.

Also my VFR has recently started resetting the dash (clock/trips) when starting it, it never fails to start but it's annoying having to reset the clock every few days. It did it this morning just as I turned it on before starting it! Sign of a dying battery? I'll start putting it on the optimiser overnight and see if it still does it.
So on the ride home tonight I noticed the headlights were very dim at idle, increasing with revs, and it cut out a couple of times, but restarted but with what seemed like a nearly empty battery...

Did some tests once I got home, getting 14v at 4500rpm so it's not a charging issue (and have the upgraded R/R on the VFR) but the battery voltages are a bit low. Was going to order a new battery via the rainforest, but, having a lightbulb moment... I checked the battery on the Tuono.

Exactly the same model :D Swapped them over, and the VFR now turns over about twice as fast as it did before, and the lights are much brighter with just the ignition on :D Ahh, the benefits of having 2 bikes.

I've stuck the optimiser lead on the VFR for good measure, but the battery has been on the optimser comnstantly for the past few months. Will get a new battery over winter for the Tuono.

Soldato
Hey, it's sitting there looking pretty (with the tank off and in the airing cupboard... :o) :D I've got the replacement fuel pump, just need a new filter.

The battery on the VFR was at least 5 years old, might even have been the original.

Associate
I have my heated gloves which I’ve never even used, discount going if you want them.

I think they are Large, I’ll have to check.

They are the Gerbing xrs-12 heated gloves.

Do these gloves warm right to the finger tips? In my experience thick gloves and/or heated grips still leave the extremeties cold.

Soldato
Pretty sure they do, think the gerbings have the elements all the way along each finger. The highest heart setting is too high for the UK, it's meant for sub zero conditions.

Heated grips aren't enough, you need muffs too to keep the wind chill off.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yep gerbrings heat the whole hand and fingers, they will burn you very quickly on the top setting and even the next one down unless it's in the minus figures

Associate
I won't be riding to work on my bike this winter. Where I've moved house I miss most of the traffic now. I'll miss the ride, I won't miss the faff and cold numb fingers no matter what I do or wear. I've experimented with heated inner gloves, heated grips, muffs etc. It just don't help unlocking a frozen chain and cleaning ice off my bike after a long night shift, my hands just will not warm up after all that.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Switched over to my winter gloves today. The ride in was positively toasty in comparison to last week, when my fingers were painfully cold.

Soldato
Switched over to my winter gloves today. The ride in was positively toasty in comparison to last week, when my fingers were painfully cold.
I tried to fit some heated grips over the weekend but there are little ridges on the throttle housing which don't allow the rigid grip tube on. Bit of a shame really. I mean I could file down the ridges and glue the heated grip on but it seemed like a bit of a bodge.
I'll just have to suffer with cold hands until I get a Superduke with heated grips, apparently they're pretty good.

Associate
Roads around Brum were rammed this evening, I filtered over 5 miles! Awesome when it's like that - most people were friendly, just one woman tried blocking me, as I went past I could see her face looking really angry in my mirrors :D.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Roads around Brum were rammed this evening, I filtered over 5 miles! Awesome when it's like that - most people were friendly, just one woman tried blocking me, as I went past I could see her face looking really angry in my mirrors :D.
Must have been something in the atmosphere. I filtered past about 4 miles of cars on the motorway this morning... no angry women blocking me tho :p

Soldato
I got burnt riding on Sunday, just saying :p

Then had an angry woman taking our picture and calling the cops because we filtered past her to get in front (it is illegal here but come on.. really?). She was extremely upset that someone got in front of her.

Back
Top Bottom