Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Permabanned
I skipped riding the bike today as need some better Gloves to make it more tolerable.

Anyone recommend a good pair of winter Gloves? Or how much are these heated gloves you all mention?

Soldato
A good pair of winter gloves can range from £30-£200 depending on how much you’re willing to spend.

Heated gloves are ok but big and clunky, you lose feeling through the grips when they are too thick.

Soldato
A good pair of winter gloves can range from £30-£200 depending on how much you’re willing to spend.

Heated gloves are ok but big and clunky, you lose feeling through the grips when they are too thick.

I don't find heated gloves any thicker than winter gloves, surely by definition they don't have to be as they have heating elements so not as much insulation is required?

Don't get me wrong I prefer my summer gloves which I'm fine with down to about 4degrees but I doubt any winter glove that's not clunky can keep my fingers warm after an hour's ride! (Heated excluded obviously :p)

Permabanned

Not really looking to spend anymore than £50 if I can find something decent for that much. Certainly not looking at much more than £60

Soldato
I skipped riding the bike today as need some better Gloves to make it more tolerable.

Anyone recommend a good pair of winter Gloves? Or how much are these heated gloves you all mention?

If you want to ride in cold (i.e. sub 5 degrees) there's only really 2 options.

Heated grips - but you'll still get cold thumbs and fingertips, which is why you need a pair of muffs to keep the windchill off and the heat in. If/when you change bikes you'll need to re-fit/buy new heated grips, oh and I'd reccomend wiring in a relay to prevent a flat battery when you leave them on overnight...

Option 2 - heated gloves. More expensive initally (the best are Gerbing at £170 for the top of the range ones) but they will be the warmest, easiest to use, just with a bit less feel than summer gloves and heated grips.

If you want warm hands when commuting through winter there is no cheap option, certainly not for £50. Maybe a used set of heated gloves? or, if your normal gloves have enough wiggle room, a set of heated glove liners? £80 new but I'm sure you could find them a little cheaper https://gerbing.co.uk/heated-glove-liners.html

Soldato
I don't find heated gloves any thicker than winter gloves, surely by definition they don't have to be as they have heating elements so not as much insulation is required?

Don't get me wrong I prefer my summer gloves which I'm fine with down to about 4degrees but I doubt any winter glove that's not clunky can keep my fingers warm after an hour's ride! (Heated excluded obviously :p)

The Gerbing gloves I had were really thick, to the point they take away almost all feeling.

Soldato
Get yourself on some of the local biker groups on facebook. there are always people selling gear for all sorts of reasons. I picked up my Richa winter gloves for £20 as they were too big for the guy that bought them

Associate
What glove size do you wear? I've got some spare A* jobs you can have if you're desperate, they're full on summer gloves though.

Thanks for the offer - but I still have my winter gloves :). I prefer the summer ones though, much thinner and better "feel."

I'm still trying to get a read tyre fitted. What sort of markup do places normally put on tyres? Googling, I can find the one I want for 100ish, but so far quotes have been £140+ for the same tyre (30 fitting on the bike.) This seems a bit excessive to me....

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
They're having a laugh with charges of bike tyre changes, at the garage all our cars are serviced they charge 40 quid for 4 tyres. On bike, I use to pay 20 per wheel on the bike.

BTW Oponeo is good if you're looking at tyres.

Associate
I can live with £30 labour because they'll do the alignment correctly (I hate doing it) - but to sell a £100 tyre for £140+ for no reason I can fathom... It smells of profiteering.

Soldato
Oponeo + removing rear wheel myself + 1 hour on a saturday morning = new tyre for £Oponeo+£15. Job jobbed.

In fact I need a new rear tyre very soon, will be on about 6k on the M7RR on my VFR, I'm surprised how little it's squared off - was temped to go for something a little less sporty for winter but as I'll easily get double the miles out the front another M7RR will be fitted in the next few weeks.

Soldato
Got a couple of questions.
1. I allowed my Panigale to get dirty!!!! Those lovely dry roads were always going to end at some point, and other than lock it away for the entire winter some dirt is inevitable. Which cleaning products do you guys use?
IMG_3851.jpg

2. Any ideas what this plug thing is? Has been on the bike since I picked it up from the dealer. Assuming I can connect a battery to a charger during long idle periods in the garage? If so, which product would be best?
IMG_3850.jpg

Man of Honour
Yep looks like an optimate battery charger lead but obviously you're best off taking a quick look at the battery just to confirm before you go hooking a charger up

Back
Top Bottom