Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
I know i said i had decided on an MT-09 and i wasn't going to spend more than 4k but a really good Tuono 1100 Factory has just come up for sale only a few minutes from my house. :p

No one is surprised. We all knew that is what you'd get.

Enjoy (if you ride it you'll buy it).

Soldato
No Aprilia dealer near me within 65 miles.

Ultimately, this will drive you mad. You'll then be faced with the distant dealer not being able to get parts from the factory. After a year more than half your riding experience on this bike will have been riding to and from the dealership. People will tell you that the Italian ownership experience more than makes up for these shortcomings, but there'll be a nagging doubt. Eventually, the doubts will outweigh the 'Italian passion' and you'll sell it and move on, left with largely dissatisfied but will at least have collected the Aprilia ownership badge along the way.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Ultimately, this will drive you mad. You'll then be faced with the distant dealer not being able to get parts from the factory. After a year more than half your riding experience on this bike will have been riding to and from the dealership. People will tell you that the Italian ownership experience more than makes up for these shortcomings, but there'll be a nagging doubt. Eventually, the doubts will outweigh the 'Italian passion' and you'll sell it and move on, left with largely dissatisfied but will at least have collected the Aprilia ownership badge along the way.
That's deep...

Soldato
To be fair, my Shiver ownership was fine. No parts were required so it was just the usual case of a dealership being a fair distance away.

The Caponord... truly horrible. It spent more time in the dealership, being worked but most often just an endless wait for parts that were always coming next week but never arrived, than it did me riding it. That dealership has since dropped Aprilia, as they were as fed up as the customers.

Clearly there are plenty of people who haven't had the same experience, but there are enough that have. It isn't a manufacturer I'd ever consider again, and that's also put me off similar manufacturers. Before buying my XR I considered the MV Agusta Turismo Veloce, but that has the same dealership issues and reported supply problems. At least should my BMW go wrong there is no issue with parts supply and I can have my pick of dealers locally should one of them be busy and booked up.

Soldato
Straight away that's a red flag, the last thing i want is to drop 8-9k on a Tuono, only for it to not start one morning or break down when i'm 200 miles from home. I know that's a risk you take with all bikes as things can and do go wrong but i want hassle free riding.

Man of Honour
Straight away that's a red flag, the last thing i want is to drop 8-9k on a Tuono, only for it to not start one morning or break down when i'm 200 miles from home. I know that's a risk you take with all bikes as things can and do go wrong but i want hassle free riding.

While Aprilia bikes are way more reliable now they are still around the BMW levels of faulty machines but without the warranty length or parts availability.

Man of Honour
Strange you should use BMW as a comparison for faults when my S1000R was faultless for the 8 months i had mine.

Your sample size of one isn't exactly representative of the population so I'm not sure what point you're making.

There are many people who have never had a fault with their Aprilia, but that doesn't mean that they're reliable.

Aprilia aren't on this list but BMW are right at the bottom with a 40% failure rate: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-most-reliable-motorcycle-brand-not-harley/

Soldato
I think I'll go for the MT-09 this time around, one popped up today, 2014 with 6k miles, full akra system, heated grips, quickshifter and it's up for sale for £4599 or make an offer.

Soldato
Your sample size of one isn't exactly representative of the population so I'm not sure what point you're making.

There are many people who have never had a fault with their Aprilia, but that doesn't mean that they're reliable.

Aprilia aren't on this list but BMW are right at the bottom with a 40% failure rate: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-most-reliable-motorcycle-brand-not-harley/

I think there are two separate things to consider. One is the reliability of the bike, and the other the ability and accessibility of the dealer and the manufacturer to put it right. Aprilia in the UK fall well short on the latter.

Soldato
I think I'll go for the MT-09 this time around, one popped up today, 2014 with 6k miles, full akra system, heated grips, quickshifter and it's up for sale for £4599 or make an offer.

Go for it - you'll hardly lose much even if you sell it on again at the end of the year. Then you've ticked off another brand on your bike ownership experience!

Back
Top Bottom