Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Takes me back to when Jamie Whitham raced with the number '69'. Durex see an opening (fnar fnar) and this was the result..

37780.jpg

B6_YILm-_Cc_AIUlav.jpg

Soldato
I took the budget challenge bike out for a final ride tonight, the first in a couple of weeks, as the challenge begins this weekend. It took a couple of tries to get started on the choke, and seems to flood if attempting to rev it for the first 10 seconds or so, but after that it idled fine on the choke, and then off it after a bit of blipping to get it up to temperature.

There's still a flat spot around 5,000 - 6,500 rpm, but above 7,000 it really starts to fly. Quite impressive for a 400 cc. The engine and exhaust sounds at full chat are actually really nice for a stock system - I guess that's the benefit of no cat.

Certainly compared to recent weekends, the weather looks pretty reasonable for this one. Skegness here we come (and eBay shorty after to get rid of it!).

Associate
I took the budget challenge bike out for a final ride tonight, the first in a couple of weeks, as the challenge begins this weekend. It took a couple of tries to get started on the choke, and seems to flood if attempting to rev it for the first 10 seconds or so, but after that it idled fine on the choke, and then off it after a bit of blipping to get it up to temperature.

There's still a flat spot around 5,000 - 6,500 rpm, but above 7,000 it really starts to fly. Quite impressive for a 400 cc. The engine and exhaust sounds at full chat are actually really nice for a stock system - I guess that's the benefit of no cat.

Certainly compared to recent weekends, the weather looks pretty reasonable for this one. Skegness here we come (and eBay shorty after to get rid of it!).

Good luck and enjoy it! No doubt there'll be photos and a vids of it all? Look forward to seeing & hearing how it all goes :)

Soldato

That flat spot could be what they tried to fix by introducing VTEC in later models, under 7k it was only 1x inlet and exhaust ports being used, above that 2x of each, was meant to give it more torque low down.

To be honest, unless you're cruising along at 30/40mph then the needle should be dancing around above 8k rpm 90% of the time :D If not, you're doing it wrong :D

Ahh, I do miss that little bike some days...

Soldato
How silly is it to be considering a 90s sports sort of bike for very cheap that'll probably require an engine rebuild (plus various other parts) as it's been sat for 5 years or so? I'd do the work obviously and I know what I'm doing when it comes to cars but the bike would still be a learning exercise.
It's also possible that it'd be better to strip it and sell the parts, which would potentially make a sizeable amount over the cost of the bike.

I know I probably shouldn't go for it but I am seriously tempted, what say you lot? :D

Caporegime
How silly is it to be considering a 90s sports sort of bike for very cheap that'll probably require an engine rebuild (plus various other parts) as it's been sat for 5 years or so? I'd do the work obviously and I know what I'm doing when it comes to cars but the bike would still be a learning exercise.
It's also possible that it'd be better to strip it and sell the parts, which would potentially make a sizeable amount over the cost of the bike.

I know I probably shouldn't go for it but I am seriously tempted, what say you lot? :D

Do you have the space to do it? Do you have the time / willpower / attention span? Is it disposable income? If the answer to all of these is yes, then absolutely. Nothing more satisfying than getting to know a bike so intimately that you can strip it down and rebuild it with your eyes shut.

Soldato
I don't have the space where I live currently but I'm looking to move somewhere with a garage anyway, until then I would be able to store / work on it in my parent's garage so that's basically covered.
Over the years I've done short and long builds on cars, restoring, modifying etc. so I'm fine with willpower and attention span, time is fine too as I have plenty.
Money-wise as it stands, it's very cheap (sub £300, for good reason) but if I decided to do a full resto it'd cost much more than a tidy running version would. However a clean resto wouldn't be the direction I'd go in, I'd want to build it into something a little different whilst still spending less than a standard running bike (roughly £1k for them at the moment).

E: Thing is though, common sense says I should leave it. :p

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Will it be worth something after you throw money on it, or you just throwing money on it for the sake of tinkering with it? I would get something you can make profit on, if you enjoy working on bikes and know what you're doing. Why not restore something that is desirable and will make you profit in the longterm?

That's just me though, I wouldn't throw money on something like an e.g. Srad as there's plenty on the market.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, it's only a ZX600 so nothing all that amazing and not special to me. I think common sense shall prevail and I'll just keep an eye out for something that's tatty but road legal for my first foray into working on bikes.

Back
Top Bottom