Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
haha I remember the days of a 125 on busy dual carriageways, it's not hideiously dangerous, or scary. You just have to remember it's a 125, if you're behind someone who can't keep a constant speed and is going from 55 - 60 - 55 for example it can be frustrating, as you just don't have the power to get round them all that quickly. Patience is the key I guess.

I always try to give learners on proper 125's a nod / wave, in the hopes I see them on something a little bigger without the L's in future. Good luck on your Mod 1 :)

Man of Honour
Mod 1 training was good fun today. We rode to the facility on the bikes so got some practice on the road too. I had planned to keep the 125 for a while. But after riding the MT07 it's so much more fun that I will be upgrading it as soon as I get my full license. I might actually put the YBR up for sale soon to take advantage of stronger prices right now. I see what people mean by bigger bike actually being easier to handle that a 125.

Mod 1 was easier than I had thought it would be. But it's going to be a silly mistake which kills me on test day.

125cc on A roads or Motorways is completely fine, but once I was in an A road in a 50cc scooter... NOW that is scary :D
Top speed was 32mph going downhill
I bet!

Associate
Had a Honda MBX 50 when I was 16/17, used it to get to school and back until I passed my car test, including taking it along at least one road with a 50 limit. Scary stuff indeed!

Man of Honour
Actually got the striple out for a decent ride that wasn't commuting today steady 75 miles around Shropshire, also first proper ride out for my new scorpion exo 1400 carbon lid.

Great weather and just confirms I made the right choice changing from the blackbird, great fun getting on to the NSL roads and just banging it up through the QS listening to it sing and still within reasonable speeds rather than the triple digits the bird would have gotten to without you even noticing.

The scorpion lid is great as well much lighter than my old GT Air, huge amounts of air flow with the vents open but still pretty good noise wise and looks lovely in carbon.

Soldato
Actually got the striple out for a decent ride that wasn't commuting today steady 75 miles around Shropshire, also first proper ride out for my new scorpion exo 1400 carbon lid.

Great weather and just confirms I made the right choice changing from the blackbird, great fun getting on to the NSL roads and just banging it up through the QS listening to it sing and still within reasonable speeds rather than the triple digits the bird would have gotten to without you even noticing.

The scorpion lid is great as well much lighter than my old GT Air, huge amounts of air flow with the vents open but still pretty good noise wise and looks lovely in carbon.

Got the same lid - it is pretty nice, and seemed a steal for the 250 I paid.

Soldato
I'm looking to get a scooter or bike to commute and was checking insurance prices:
125cc scooter the insurance is around £450
125cc bike the insurance is is around £500
but if I get a 650cc bike the insurance is around £200.

Man of Honour
I'm looking to get a scooter or bike to commute and was checking insurance prices:
125's are very stealable and tend to be ridden by younger people/people just zipping about on perpetual CBTs who tend to have a bit of a death wish or complete lack of situational awareness

Soldato
125's are very stealable and tend to be ridden by younger people/people just zipping about on perpetual CBTs who tend to have a bit of a death wish or complete lack of situational awareness

100%. It’s often cheaper to ride a bigger bike if you have the licence.

Man of Honour
To ride a 650 you have to prove to the DVLA that you are competent and safe to ride on the road, that you can safely manourvre, emergency stop and swerve hazards, along with being able to prove that you know the road signs, laws and pass a hazard perception test to a sufficient standard. To ride a 125 you have to take a few hours basic training, slap some L plates badly on the bike, secure a pizza box on the back and not even know any road signs. A 125 rider is a much higher risk.

I count myself among the higher risk too as I am still on a 125 on L plates.

Even if you have a full license, statistically 125's are a risk.

Last edited:
Soldato
I understand all you guys are saying... BUT...

From 2015 to 2019 I always had a 650cc bike and an 125cc scooter, the insurance for the scooter was always cheaper than the bike and I'm quoting the same scooter, bike and address.

So for some reason 125cc bikes and scooters insurance prices increased, in the past 2 years.

Man of Honour
Since the pandemic started there has been a massive increase in demand for 125's; both for transport and for scooter delivery riders. I would expect prices to have been pushed up by the new wave of inexperienced riders, higher values attracting thieves and also a little bit of cheekiness by the insurance companies chancing their arms as demand has increased.

Man of Honour
I've found one drawback for the scorpion exo 1400 lid, they don't include a tiny screwdriver to adjust the pinlock pins :o
Need to go digging for my jewelers screwdrivers.

Soldato
Had my first puncture in Five bikes today on the 690, took the bike to work and the steering was really strange and i knew something wasn't right, it was only when i got to work someone pointed out the flat tyre.

They way the damage was, the rear stock battleax couldn't be saved so got a cheaper maxxis m6029 (only choice i had that was in stock), pretty sickened and annoyed now at not having a matching set, will be checking my tyres before i set off now everytime.

Associate
Had my first puncture in Five bikes today on the 690, took the bike to work and the steering was really strange and i knew something wasn't right, it was only when i got to work someone pointed out the flat tyre.

They way the damage was, the rear stock battleax couldn't be saved so got a cheaper maxxis m6029 (only choice i had that was in stock), pretty sickened and annoyed now at not having a matching set, will be checking my tyres before i set off now everytime.

I speak as someone with tyre pressure monitors to help, but also always pull over if things feel strange. Sometimes bad things can happen. Like a stoaway pillion you didn't notice!

Soldato
If your wheels are tubeless you can get cool puncture repair kits for about £30, you basically drive in a slice of rubber and inflate with a co2 canister. They’re tiny so easy to carry all the time in a bag.

Back
Top Bottom