Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Took the bike into work yesterday (Great fun, need to be smoother on the control though). Mid way through my journey to work, I noticed that the bike started to sound louder (when I'm not at a speed that the sound is overwhelmed by wind noise). I also thought i could hear some rattling. It seemed to sound okay when i was revving at idle though.

Is it possible that the exhaust jubilee clip has come loose or that there is now a hole in the exhaust?
Any other ideas what could be causing this?

Caporegime
Amazing how quickly things can change. I was meant to be doing my licence this week but got a call on Weds and on Friday I was told I'm being promoted and I need to start on Monday.

Of course the new place is outside of London (Teddington), close to @Hades I believe) so I need something to commute on, and I need it soon. I'm currently looking at Vespas :p

Man of Honour
Took the bike into work yesterday (Great fun, need to be smoother on the control though). Mid way through my journey to work, I noticed that the bike started to sound louder (when I'm not at a speed that the sound is overwhelmed by wind noise). I also thought i could hear some rattling. It seemed to sound okay when i was revving at idle though.

Is it possible that the exhaust jubilee clip has come loose or that there is now a hole in the exhaust?
What bike? Could be a number of things.

Man of Honour
Amazing how quickly things can change. I was meant to be doing my licence this week but got a call on Weds and on Friday I was told I'm being promoted and I need to start on Monday.

Of course the new place is outside of London (Teddington), close to @Hades I believe) so I need something to commute on, and I need it soon. I'm currently looking at Vespas :p
Yep close to me.

Associate
Well, went to work in Melton on the bike the other night (GSX S 750) and on the way home Monday morning, a nice lorry driver decided to pull out on me at the Shoby Crossroads.
How I never came off I never know, I subconsciously slowed down approaching the junction and if I hadn't I would have hit the trailer right in the middle.:eek:
I managed to swerve enough to clip the very back end of the trailer with my right bar, bending the brake lever back and trapping some of my digits. Thankfully, my armoured gloves saved my fingers from being broken as they took the brunt of the impact.
Damage to the bike is surprisingly minimal. Bent brake lever, damaged bar end, scuffed rhs mirror and the forks appear to be a little bit twisted from the impact.
Lorry driver just drove off:rolleyes:, but some kind motorists stopped to see if I was ok. They couldn't believe that the lorry had pulled out at the last second:(
Unfortunately, no-one got the details of the lorry, so the police will not follow up:mad:

It could have been a lot worse though, so I suppose I should be thankful.
Bike is booked in next week for a service and a once over.

Man of Honour
Went out for a quick bimble chasing my mate on his 200bhp at the wheel H2.
Absolute missile :eek: he's got it decatted with an akro on as well, sounds like an F1 car.

Last edited:
Associate
Traded in my Ducati 899 for a ZX10R on Thursday. Got the ride back Thursday on it and then out Saturday afternoon, so bloody quick. Loved the 899 but for pure performance the 10R is just another world.

Soldato
Traded in my Ducati 899 for a ZX10R on Thursday. Got the ride back Thursday on it and then out Saturday afternoon, so bloody quick. Loved the 899 but for pure performance the 10R is just another world.

That's what my recent trade-in from a Street Triple 765 RS to a BWM S1000R feels like - I had completely forgotten how much an inline 4 screams its way through the revs, it almost feels like you're torturing it at times! Last i4 I had was a GSXR 750 K7, and that was 5 bikes ago (twins and triples since).

Associate
That's what my recent trade-in from a Street Triple 765 RS to a BWM S1000R feels like - I had completely forgotten how much an inline 4 screams its way through the revs, it almost feels like you're torturing it at times! Last i4 I had was a GSXR 750 K7, and that was 5 bikes ago (twins and triples since).

Yeah. To be fair I only had the Ducati 2 years, then before that a Blade so for me it hasn’t been as long. But my god, the thing is just rapid. The Ducati was awesome, for that type of bike so comfortable and, I guess sensible.

For me, at my age, I don’t think I have more than another 10 years riding sports bikes and there are a few I want to own before getting a touring bike for me and the missus to go away with. Not sure any will be much quicker than the 10R though

Caporegime
So, dealers then.

When buying a brand new motorcycle would you expect a full tank of fuel?

I bought my Aprilia new and it was barely a quarter full. I don't know what protocol is for these things so didn't have a whinge but the more I think about the whole dealer experience, the more it annoys me:

• Bike not cleaned prior to pickup, despite the guy saying on the phone that the shop was dead.
  • Bike pretty much empty as above.
  • One of the panels was a bit loose which will be sorted, but still more proof that they didn't even give it a once-over.
  • One of the panels has a screw sticking out the back of it where someone's been too keen with a screwgun. This too is being repaired under warranty.
  • The tracker cost me £400, so ideally I'd like to take it with me when I sell it. The dealer couldn't tell me where it is located in the bike.
  • He said that the bike comes with Aprilia's bluetooth functionality (which is just a gimmick, but still, a brand new bike, I want to have a play dammit). I've yet to get it to work.

None of these things in isolation are enough to justify me complaining, but when all put together, it soured the deal a bit. I can't say I'll ever be buying there again, and will tell others to avoid them too. I have zero confidence in them come service time.

Associate

Baffle inside exhaust corroded, come loose?

Soldato
Anyone else finding the second hand market barely there nowadays?

Returning to biking after a few years away and Im struggling to find any good deals on the second hand market.
It seems that the dealers soak up all the good ones (obviously bumping up the price to boot) and all thats left are some rotters.

Getting frustrated looking for something decent out there for 5-7k and might even have to consider buying new, which is just plain weird to me. heh

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Anyone else finding the second hand market barely there nowadays?

Returning to biking after a few years away and Im struddling to find any good deals on the second hand market.
It seems that the dealers soak up all the good ones (obviously bumping up the price to boot) and all thats left are some rotters.

Getting frustrated looking for something decent out there for 5-7k and might even have to consider buying new, which is just plain weird to me. heh
It's the same as cars at the minute. The secondhand market is mental.

I bought my street triple last Feb from a dealer and now you're looking at an extra 3 or 4 years old and another 10k miles to get one for what I paid even private.

Back
Top Bottom