Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
Anyone on here got an older BMW R80/100. Looking to buy one, but just after buying advice really..
I don’t know a whole lot about them but good examples are ridiculously expensive now. The engines are pretty strong and spares are freely available. Frame and bodywork parts seem to be scarcer and more expensive, so if I were to look at one I’d be prioritising frame and bodywork condition over engine condition.

Check out www.motorworks.co.uk for spares and bikes for sale.

Soldato
Can one of you discerning fellows offer an opinion on this GSXR 600 I'm looking at buying?

2015 Gsxr 600, 4k miles, 1 owner, 6 service stamps £6995

Cjai0y3.jpg

https://valuebikecentre.net/bikes-for-sale/16768/

By the description and photos it sounds perfect, the only thing I picked up was on the 2021 MOT it had an advisory for:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front Valve stem slightly damaged (5.2.3 (j))
  • Rear Valve stem slightly damaged (5.2.3 (j))
Which presumably is nothing, just a wearable part. I'm assuming the valve stem is referring to that of the wheels and not the engine!

The one thing that surprises me is it's been listed for sale since February 19th going by the eBay advert, I would have thought a bike like this that ticks all the boxes would have sold by now? The price isn't cheap sure but it's around the going rate?

Thoughts? Thanks.

Soldato
Can one of you discerning fellows offer an opinion on this GSXR 600 I'm looking at buying?

2015 Gsxr 600, 4k miles, 1 owner, 6 service stamps £6995

https://valuebikecentre.net/bikes-for-sale/16768/

By the description and photos it sounds perfect, the only thing I picked up was on the 2021 MOT it had an advisory for:

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front Valve stem slightly damaged (5.2.3 (j))
  • Rear Valve stem slightly damaged (5.2.3 (j))
Which presumably is nothing, just a wearable part. I'm assuming the valve stem is referring to that of the wheels and not the engine!

The one thing that surprises me is it's been listed for sale since February 19th going by the eBay advert, I would have thought a bike like this that ticks all the boxes would have sold by now? The price isn't cheap sure but it's around the going rate?

Thoughts? Thanks.

If you view it I would just check the valve stems, as you said it should be the wheels, and get them to replace if they haven't already.
Price looks to be the going rate, only thing I would put it down to is time of year, nobody wants a 600 sports in the winter and probably just the general cost of everything at the moment, wouldn't be surprised it bike sales hit a low this year.

Soldato
If you view it I would just check the valve stems, as you said it should be the wheels, and get them to replace if they haven't already.
Price looks to be the going rate, only thing I would put it down to is time of year, nobody wants a 600 sports in the winter and probably just the general cost of everything at the moment, wouldn't be surprised it bike sales hit a low this year.

Thanks mate. I rang earlier this afternoon with a view to buying it and the chap who answered said it sold a few days ago! Annoying that they don't remove the adverts.

Ideally I'd like a 600, but the difference in price between 600 and 750 insurance quotes is about £50, so may well consider a 750.

Soldato
I've managed to identify that the gasket between the cat box and headers has disintegrated. So there wasn't a solid connection between the two components. The clamp is also well rusted but potentially still useable.

Thankfully it should be a cheap fix. What website/business do you guys go to buy your bike parts?

Soldato
I've managed to identify that the gasket between the cat box and headers has disintegrated. So there wasn't a solid connection between the two components. The clamp is also well rusted but potentially still useable.

Thankfully it should be a cheap fix. What website/business do you guys go to buy your bike parts?
FowlersParts for OEM but I always take the product code and search eBay before buying.

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/?gcl...nEik1H7BjA25H9zuTS-TsGMjBtQw56gYaAghJEALw_wcB

Associate
Thanks mate. I rang earlier this afternoon with a view to buying it and the chap who answered said it sold a few days ago! Annoying that they don't remove the adverts.

Ideally I'd like a 600, but the difference in price between 600 and 750 insurance quotes is about £50, so may well consider a 750.

Any reason for wanting the 600 instead? I have a 750 and would recommend. It's like the 600, except more power lower down (can be lazier with gears in town) and more power overall, but not mad litre power. Though mine is a K5 so not sure if there were greater differences in 2015.

Soldato
Got my renewal quote today, gone from £90 - £125.

If you think of the percentage increase that's insane.

And because of the new law that's the best they are going to offer, that's through Bennett's although looking at the letter seems they have farmed it out themselves to "Best Way" insurance or something.

Soldato
I don't understand insurers.

So went on the compare thing and got it through Swinton for £73.

And what takes the ****, is it's actually the same insurer in the background (West Bay Ltd) that are providing the cover!!!

Back
Top Bottom