Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Got out for a good 100+ miles this afternoon. Very cold and still too much rubbish on the roads, but so good to be back out for a decent ride. It looks like much of the current overseas plans for this year are going to be interrupted, so best make the most of any time on the bike!

UfzWS1A.jpg

Soldato
Do those smoked foot plate things do much? I just ordered an MRA vario thing for my GS and I see plenty more on yours :)

Yeah, they do. It took me quite a while to find the right settings for my particular height and helmet vents, but once I did I essentially have two positions. One of these deflects air higher to the top of the helmet, which I use for longer, higher speed runs (motorways). The other puts some decent flow lower down to the chin vent, which is much better for more spirited riding and keeping a constant airflow. Today's setting was the former, because it was bloody cold!

Soldato
Had my first ride out after leaving my bike garaged for winter for the first time since I got one (been having too much fun in the Abarth). Managed to get eco to show on the display (Mt09) and didn't use A mode so was Conservative. Had a blast though, hoping to be back using it weekly lockdown dependent, perhaps even for some commuting again when I put it on insurance. Hardly even did 1000 miles last year so hoping to at least quadruple that this year.

Associate
Yeah, they do. It took me quite a while to find the right settings for my particular height and helmet vents, but once I did I essentially have two positions. One of these deflects air higher to the top of the helmet, which I use for longer, higher speed runs (motorways). The other puts some decent flow lower down to the chin vent, which is much better for more spirited riding and keeping a constant airflow. Today's setting was the former, because it was bloody cold!

Lovely! Am looking forward to getting mine. Standard screen at highest just seemed to hit top of lid and make noise. At low speeds I could leave visor open and have sun visor down and be happy. Hoping with extended screen I can do this more easily at speed too.

Soldato
Took my bike to work this morning. Tightened the chain last night.

Having to ride in because with the kids at home, my Mrs needs to car to set off to work later. It was a lovely morning full of sun.
Been feeling the pinch since all of this corona stuff kicked off - made me feel a bit happier. :)

Not felt this down in a while.

Soldato
Been having a blast riding my bike again. Been using it to get to the shops to pick up essentials and then taking a small (read: hour long sometimes) detour on my way home.

Lots and lots of fun with a huge grin under my helmet. God I've missed riding

Soldato
I'm resisting. It would have been a cracking day for riding today - a little breezy but the roads are near empty.

When all this draws to an end, they should just let the bikes on first for a weekend, before all the cars :D

Soldato
That's true, i'm closing in on bike number 10, can't wait. :)
I was only a few months out with my prediction, I think I was the only one in the game actually so maybe I’ve won haha.

The s1000r is a lovely bike, I nearly test rode one before I bought my van which made me skint :(

Soldato
My SV650 decided to spring a leak, the fuel pump (Vacuum) decided to stay open, and basically whenever the bike was revved petrol came out.

I noticed it at work the other day, proceeded to take the tank off and look at the damage - I need a new petcock. Fantastic. Now I have to ride the bike home (3 miles ish) to get it where it is now, no idea how long it has been leaking for.

Couple of questions, keeping in mind this is a carbed bike. The airbox smells of petrol, I take that would be normal given how close it is to the carbs?

Also, i'm unsure if there is petrol in my oil. I smelt it, but the whole thing smelt of petrol so I couldn't work out if it was coming from there or not. I need to do an oil change, should I warm the bike up, and then drop the oil as usual? Or should I do it cold?

In all honesty, i'm all over the place at the minute, not had a wink of sleep. This whole pandemic thing is bonkers, other than a push bike this is my only means of getting about - I sold the car a while ago.
Everything is stressful right now, and everything is going wrong. - I suppose we'll just keep on going, its the british way I suppose. :(

If anyone can help me with my questions, that would be awesome. :)

Associate
Dude, don't get down about these small issues.

The airbox on a bike with carburetors will always smell of petrol if it is close. I wouldn't think that petrol has got into the oil, however when was the oil last changed? If it was 4000 miles ago change it anyway. Always best to get it hot first as it will evacuate quicker and remove more of the contaminates that it picks up during its service life.

Personally I wouldn't ride a bike with a petrol leak so unless you have a mate with a van or trailer you need to push it home. Don't forget if you are on a road you need to wear a helmet!

Good luck.

Matt

Soldato
My SV650 decided to spring a leak, the fuel pump (Vacuum) decided to stay open, and basically whenever the bike was revved petrol came out.

I noticed it at work the other day, proceeded to take the tank off and look at the damage - I need a new petcock. Fantastic. Now I have to ride the bike home (3 miles ish) to get it where it is now, no idea how long it has been leaking for.

Couple of questions, keeping in mind this is a carbed bike. The airbox smells of petrol, I take that would be normal given how close it is to the carbs?

Also, i'm unsure if there is petrol in my oil. I smelt it, but the whole thing smelt of petrol so I couldn't work out if it was coming from there or not. I need to do an oil change, should I warm the bike up, and then drop the oil as usual? Or should I do it cold?

In all honesty, i'm all over the place at the minute, not had a wink of sleep. This whole pandemic thing is bonkers, other than a push bike this is my only means of getting about - I sold the car a while ago.
Everything is stressful right now, and everything is going wrong. - I suppose we'll just keep on going, its the british way I suppose. :(

If anyone can help me with my questions, that would be awesome. :)

Not familiar with the sv but I have had Vacuum taps stick on various bikes over the years gsx1100 other gs motors e.t.c and can & will leak petrol into the oil worse you can cause a hydraulic lock which you really do not want.

Back
Top Bottom