Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Random post… Don't think I’ve ever been on this part of the forum before but I seen what I now know to be an R nineT Scrambler at a service station the other day, I’ve never looked at a bike and thought wow before! Couldn’t take my eyes off it.

Is it sensible to go through the hassle of getting a bike licence for the beauty of one motorcycle? :p
They deserve to be more popular than they are.

Soldato
Any body else's bike run a bit ropey on E10?

My GSX650F does, just idles a bit ropey and doesn't pull the same. Wondering if it's the fuel or something else that E5/Higher Octane compensates for.

Caporegime
Was riding behind a chap on a Royal Enfield 350 today. I actually felt a bit bad for him, 20 plate, only a couple of years old and the squeaks and rattles coming off it were ridiculous. The build quality was awful, the little crash bars and racking and whatnot were about as thick as a straw. Not a good bike sadly.

Man of Honour
They're cheap tat, designed to appeal to the hipster crowd that bring it out for a 2 mile bimble to the cafe and back when the wind is blowing in just the right direction.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Was riding behind a chap on a Royal Enfield 350 today. I actually felt a bit bad for him, 20 plate, only a couple of years old and the squeaks and rattles coming off it were ridiculous. The build quality was awful, the little crash bars and racking and whatnot were about as thick as a straw. Not a good bike sadly.
Most likely manufactured in India, just like all the lower CC KTM's.

Man of Honour
All the royal Enfield range are made in India.
They've always been a bit rattly and had their qwerks but it was accepted as their character.
It now looks like they're trying to get into the more mainstream market but with the same questionable quality.

Caporegime

This is what I don't get - the KTM 390 is 40cc more and makes more than double the power. Those Enfield 350s are only 20hp, 5 hp more than my 125 for almost triple the capacity, I couldn't believe it. I know that these Chinesium / Indian bikes use inferior materials which can't handle stresses well which is why they're so under stressed but I never realised quite how bad it was.

All the royal Enfield range are made in India.
They've always been a bit rattly and had their qwerks but it was accepted as their character.
It now looks like they're trying to get into the more mainstream market but with the same questionable quality.

For some reason I thought that Royal Enfield used to be a pretty well regarded brand, loads of history on the salt flats iirc. Have they always been a bit crap then?

Man of Honour
This is what I don't get - the KTM 390 is 40cc more and makes more than double the power. Those Enfield 350s are only 20hp, 5 hp more than my 125 for almost triple the capacity, I couldn't believe it. I know that these Chinesium / Indian bikes use inferior materials which can't handle stresses well which is why they're so under stressed but I never realised quite how bad it was.

For some reason I thought that Royal Enfield used to be a pretty well regarded brand, loads of history on the salt flats iirc. Have they always been a bit crap then?
I'm pretty sure they've always been known to be quite roughly put together, tolerances in the engines can be measured in cm rather than mm type of thing.

Which isn't a bad thing in itself if they're made to basically run forever with an oil change once a decade and be fixable in deepest darkest India with nothing more than a rusty spoon but they seem to be trying to move away from that without a big step up in quality.

Caporegime
So the 125 hit 1000 miles this morning, which coincided with another fuelling on the way home.

Some numbers:

£15 to do 168 miles.
95mpg.
Hours of my life saved not standing in traffic.
Infinite more smiles.

And that's riding it like I stole it, everywhere. And auto stop-start is turned off too.

I'm no hypermiler but I'm tempted to see how high I can get those empeegeez. Problem is it'll take over 200 miles to go brim-to-brim :p

Transmission breaker
Don
Nice! Gotta love the cheap but fun motoring :D

I picked up a another bike today, after selling off the cbr600 f2 and 2003 Hornet.

Just got to get it ULEZ certified and change a few things that should arrive tomorrow. Insurance should be done then too.

Then it's good for a first proper ride out. It's not quite as much of a project as my usual purchases, but I will stick a thread up if people are interested :)

Back
Top Bottom