1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bilstein B6 shock absorbers

Discussion in 'Motors' started by pattojones, 19 Dec 2020.

1. pattojones

Hitman

My Skoda Superb wallows like a ship at sea over bumps. Forum search indicates they are known to be dreadful for this, even with dynamic suspension.

Thinking of changing the shockers to something firmer. Anyone done this?

Anyone tried Bilstein B6?

2. WJA96

Capodecina

The shock absorbers only control the speed the suspension reacts, if you want to stiffen the suspension you need to change the springs and from your description of the problem, you actually want stiffer anti-roll bars.

Can I suggest you look at Koni FSD shock absorbers with an Eibach springs?

3. Gaygle

Capodecina

What year is your superb?

4. Haze

Mobster

Would also try a spring change, fitting XL tyres made a good difference to how my car felt round bends

5. Nasher

Capodecina

Problem is on that kind of car you probably won't be able to make it corner flat without the ride being really hard.

6. Havana_UK

Soldato

I think you should put KW Clubsport or KW V2 on it, polybush it all round and fit much stiffer antiroll bars.

7. GinG

Sgarrista

Are you sure the suspension just isn't broken?

I have a 2015 Elegance and find that the car handles and rides very well. This is with the standard 18" alloys.

8. Thebug

Wise Guy

9. pattojones

Hitman

2015/65. It’s on 19” alloys.

10. Nasher

Capodecina

Smaller wheels will help handling (and ride quality) too.

11. pattojones

Hitman

I am not looking to lower the car at all. Is your suggestion still good?

12. WJA96

Capodecina

Not really. I’m not aware of anyone selling spring kits the same ride height with a stiffer spring rate.

But if you stiffen up the anti-roll bars it should help the wallowing you describe.

13. Firegod

Sgarrista

I thought ARBs were for cornering and reducing body roll, not for reducing the soft wobbly feeling when going over bumps, but I just did some reading and turns out they would reduce problems over uneven roads. So you learn something every day! :) But just wanted to post really and say I've had both the Bilstein and Koni FSD shocks (Koni FSD's were on my 595 Comp). And the Koni FSD shocks were good. Ironically @WJA96 they were paired with Eibach springs from factory but I must admit they ran better with H&R springs. Seemed to smooth out the bumps easier whereas the Eibach's with the Koni FSD bounced around a bit on the rear.

14. WJA96

Capodecina

It's entirely possible that a particular combination of shock absorbers and springs works better in one application than another. The reason the FSD's and the Eibach Sport springs are used together very commonly is that they are both variable rate. The FSD initially is soft then firms up substantially as it nears it's limit of travel. Likewise the Eibachs are wound in such a way that the first inch of travel is extremely soft to smooth out small imperfections on the road but then get stiffer as the car starts to lean and yaw backwards and forwards under acceleration and braking. It's very possible that the H&Rs are even better suited to the FSDs but I've only used the Eibachs.

15. GinG

Sgarrista

Do you know the history of the car from new? Sometimes if springs have been changed to none OEM these cars are known to be much more bouncy. Highlighted more when towing a caravan.

16. adam cool dude

Capodecina

I would be looking at anti roll bar first. Being vag there must be some thicker ones off another model that should bolt on.

Depending on the milage it could just be that your shocks are done and need replacing.

17. pattojones

Hitman

A popular Skoda forum is saying that the Bilstein B6 shockers will achieve what I want to without springs being changed. I guess i’ll just have to try.

18. pattojones

Hitman

Don’t think its that as many owners talk about the front ‘bottoming out’.

19. ~Divine~Wind~

Underboss

I went thru a few different setups on my mazda 6 which is the same sorta size as the octy

I found B6's with H+R springs were the best solution, managed to get my springs dirt cheap on Amazon haha

20. adam cool dude

Capodecina

The front will still bottom out with B6's it will just rebound quicker and be a more firmer ride. "Bottoming out" will not be changed by dampers that's springs.