Binaural recording at Spa!

Soldato
Holy crap. Put your headphones on, (the best ones you have) crank the volume up as loud as you dare (I'm using Sennheiser 580s and a portable headphone amp from my laptop) and listen. It will put you right there at the trackside. This is short and sweet but..oh yeah!:D

Caporegime

While I think the V6s are a good move in terms of technology, the engine note is far more complex and interesting, and the reduced volume makes for a far more enjoyable trackside experience during the race, hearing 24 NA V8s scream and echo through the Belgium forest in an enveloping bombardment of noise, vibration and emotion is an experience I will keep with me forever.

Soldato
The recent V8s were just loud and nothing else - no soul or character. Ferrari spend a day a year taking a collection of old F1 cars to Spa and the V8 era ones just bore me.

I do wish the current V6s were a touch louder, but they're so much more interesting. In testing they remind me of the 80s turbos, and I love the angry note of the Honda.

TV somehow hasn't managed to do the new engines justice - they all sound pretty lifeless and samey, perhaps lost in the vast lands of Tilke. But I still easily prefer them over the V8s.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The TV audio last year was appauling. They realized quite early on that the sound recording kit they had wasn't picking the noise up properly, but rather than bother to fix it they just turned the volume up a bit.

In real life the V6s chirp and whistle and bark and woosh and all sorts of interesting noises. There's also real differences between the different engines. On TV they just fart.

smr

smr

Soldato
The recent V8s were just loud and nothing else - no soul or character. Ferrari spend a day a year taking a collection of old F1 cars to Spa and the V8 era ones just bore me.

I do wish the current V6s were a touch louder, but they're so much more interesting. In testing they remind me of the 80s turbos, and I love the angry note of the Honda.

TV somehow hasn't managed to do the new engines justice - they all sound pretty lifeless and samey, perhaps lost in the vast lands of Tilke. But I still easily prefer them over the V8s.

I disagree about the V8s lacking soul, they sounded beautiful as I was stood at the bottom of Eau Rouge listening to them roar through the forest :)

Back
Top Bottom