BIOS settings I haven't seen before - Performance Upgrade and CPU upgrade

Man of Honour
Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H board. BIOS has those settings. Manual doesn't explain what they are, I haven't seen them before and I can't narrow down a search enough to filter out eleventy million hits for hardware upgrades and flashing new versions of a BIOS. So I'm asking here. It's not important but it's niggling at me. I'm thinking that they're badly named auto-overclocking settings, but does anyone know for certain?

Man of Honour
I believe that CPU upgrade is Gigabyte auto CPU overclocking feature that lets you choose from certain presets (4.2Ghz, 4.4Ghz and so on) but can set voltage too high. I believe that Performance Upgrade is similar but you select a preset percentage (20%, 30%, 40% etc) and it also affects the memory as well. That's what a quick google seems to suggest anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
Thank you. Your search skills are better than mine.

For the first time in ~30 years, I'm not intending to overclock. So I'll leave them on auto. It'll be a bit odd to begin with - the only CPU I didn't overclock was a Cyrix 6x86 and then only because it was unstable with any overclock at all. Maybe I didn't overclock the 386SX in my first PC, I can't remember. Every other one has been overclocked, though.

Back
Top Bottom