Bios UEFI Mobo setup confusion??

Associate
Hi Guys

Just built my new machine not for gaming yet!

Asus X299 A and I cannot find a good step by step or video on reccomended Bios or UEFI setting with my other hardware components.
Also the recommended voltage setting? There are so many options to choose and I am new to these advanced Mobo's so please note that.

I have 2 SSD M.2 Slots ( 1 SATA or NVMe/PCIe) (2 Just NVMe/PCIe)

I want to boot only from my SSD M.2 NVMe Slots. I have installed Windows 10 (1709 Creator Fall version) on 500Gb Samsung NVMe and 2 other Cloned NVMe drives ( same system with different software)

When I boot sometimes with multiple drives it sees the drives in BIOS but will not boot regardless of boot manager?? and sometimes it does????? I have taken all sata ports out to stop conflict and the weird thing was when I powered down and reinstalled a different NVMe system drive and when I booted back up it still had the NVMe drive from the previous session on the desktop..but I had taken that drive out of the system????

All I want to do before I start Gaming is set the system up to do normal functions before I push it. and use everyday apps.

I Photoshop, Illustratror, Office,ect
2 32Gb Ram
3 MSI 4Gb Video Card
4 Various NVMe M.2 SSD drives ( 250GB-500GB-1TB)
5 Various older Sata WD 3.5" Drives as storage only
6 I have PCIe Expansion cards NVMe and SATA combos again just for storage.

I think a very clear understanding of the bios or UEFI will help me. I have never looked inside the new BIOS or UEFI or changed any settings only the boot order.

I am not trying to boot multiple systems. Only one system at a time with storage drives connected

If anybody can either point me in the right direction or advise on a great setup profile for the X299 A for everyday use it would help. I have no idea what the difference is with UEFI or BIOS or voltage prefs. I only remember BIOS from my old system.

Before you say there are plenty of videos online ..yes there are but but not really for the simple minded newbies who really need to be taken by the hand and explained the basic setup rules with various options once you start expanding the hardware.

I am trying to create a very simple setup with advanced hardware.

Thanks to anybody that chips in.

cistec

Associate
OP
Just thought I might add that when I use any of my WD SSD M.2 1TB SATA system drives they works perfectly every time? but I have 6 NVMe SSD M.2 drives which are not working in the proper slots.

Soldato
If I'm reading that correctly you have 3 instances of windows 10 installed on multiple drives.. Why?

That's probably the cause of the problem.

Associate
OP
mattyfez_ I am not running them at the same time.

Master drive Win 10 Pro ( never change this virgin drive setup )

1) Clone Master Drive #1 different software config ( drivers applications ect)
2) Clone Master Drive #2 different Software config ( drivers applications ect)
ect ect.

All SSD VVMe system drives are used seperatley on the machine...never do I run more than 1 drive with system installed (only storage drives)

I have sorted the NVMe problem I think..I upgraded the Bios and sata drivers and touch wood it seems to work! and the function F8 boot order seems to work better than the the master boot in Bios menu for some reason? it overides the first choice in the Bios menu ..which is great.

Problem I have now since I upgraded to Win 10 Creator Fall 1709 I cannot clone drives now without it returning a non genuine copy of Windows error???? which is ridiculous because it is all the same hardware apart from the cloned drives but what are backups for??? If this is the case and you cannot clone system drives without another licence or going through the process of calling microsoft to reactivate everytime you clone a drive..I can see problems for a lot of users. If there is anyway around this or if anybody knows how to clone with key transfer successfully I would be very appreciative to hear how.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom