Bit confused - new computer - what resolution monitor?

Associate
I'm spending around £1700 on a new build PC.

Computer to be used for:

- programming
- running VMs
- pen testing

I don't play games but would like to have a go so I'm leaving the option open.

I want a 27" Monitor.

I narrowed my search to resolutions of 2560. I thought that would give me more desktop space but I'm a bit confused.

Should I go for one at 1920x1080?

They are lower in price and I could afford to maybe concentrate more on quality or maybe even get two.

Any advice?

Associate
I much prefer 1 monitor over 2, but you will have people that do like dual monitors.

If you want 27" then 1920x1080 is not good for desktop work. It would be okay for gaming, but as you say it's not a priority for you. 27" 16:9 monitors are best at 2560x1440. Try to get a 27" 2560x1440p IPS display within your budget, and don't buy the high refresh ones as they cost more for features you don't really need. I just bought a 27" 2560x1440p IPS 60Hz monitor myself for under £250 (it was in an open box sale). Shop around and hunt in the clearance sections.

Soldato
Since gaming is not a focus there are 34 inch ultrawides to be had with a res of 3440x1440 and they dont cost that much as long as you stick to the standard 60hz panels. You would be getting a fantastic work experience, proper colours(due to IPS) and a good reading experience. Gaming will be fine to even but of course hold back a little bit by the 60hz. While 34inch sounds like a lot it will match a standard 16:9 27inch in height while of course being a bit wider. All depends on your budget of course which we know very little off.

First cheaper ultrawide, matching your criteria, to pop into my head would be the lg 34um88. Might even be cheaper ones out there if you know where to look.

PS: Regarding my first sentence, im not saying Ultrawide isnt great for gaming cause it really is, was instead refering to the 60hz which imho is acceptable but not that great.

Soldato
If you are programming you'll want the highest resolution possible so that you can fit multiple source code files on the screen at the same time. I currently have a 1440p monitor and 1200p monitor. But I'm thinking of giving the 1200p monitor to my dad and buying a 4k monitor and then using the 1440p monitor as a second screen.

That way I'll be able to have multiple source code files open at the same time which is very useful when programming. So I'd highly recommend getting a 4k monitor for your main programming work and second, smaller, monitor for your documentation and any reference material you need (or you email or just a simple web browser). That way you'll be your most productive. My work load is very similar to you (well except I don't do any pen testing).

Soldato
For productivity work, maybe consider 2x 16:10 24" screens? I find this a much preferable aspect ratio for getting stuff done on. Widescreen ain't all that when you need to see down a long page of code :)

Back
Top Bottom