Bit of an odd soundbar issue

Soldato
Hi all,

This isn't a deal breaker, but it's bugging me a bit! I have a Samsung HW-Q70R 3.1.2 Atmos/DTS X soundbar. And mighty fine it is too.

BUT...I've noticed on a couple of scenes that rear sounds are missing from the mix on DTS blu rays. The main scene I notice this is "A worthy inclusion" from Thor Ragnarok, when Thor holds his hand out to summon his "umbrella" in Dr Stranges house. I should be able to hear the umbrella crashing through the house until it reaches Thors hands but there's nothing.
This happens on the DTS soundtrack on the blu ray. I have since purchased the 4k version which has an Atmos soundtrack and all the sounds are there so I'm guessing it's the way the soundbar deals with 7.1 DTS soundtracks?

I have it set up as follows...

Panasonic UB820 player, connected to the HDMI IN on the soundbar. Soundbar is then connected to my TV (Sony KD-49XE8004) via HDMI ARC. All works well. It's just that mix from 7.1 DTS soundtracks which sounds like it's missing the rear channels instead of mixing them into the fronts (or front tops in this case?)

The player is setup to bitstream everything to the soundbar so that the bar deals with the downmix. I've tried PCM and there was no difference.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice!

Caporegime
I just think the way the Samsung handles 7.1 isn't so good. Or maybe adding the optional rear speakers will help?

Adding rear speakers is a given that will help.

However I've just done a search and it's a 3.1.2 soundbar.

So it only has centre, left and right. There is no rear speakers built in to the main unit.

It then has atmos which is upfiring so again nothing to reproduce the rear.

I believe it's just the way the soundbar is made and handles certain audio files.

Should have bought a yamaha.

Soldato
Oh well guess have to buy seperates system.

Guess that's the problem with sound bars if you run into a issue like this simply can't add remaining speakers you're stuck. Even if you're happy with the soundbar

Back
Top Bottom