Black Mould in Bathroom (DIY Help Needed)

Soldato
Does your tile grout (white stuff inbetween tiles) have mould on it as well?

It could just be the case that you badly applied the sealant.
If water can get behind the silicone(sealant) then mould will definitely eventually form as there is nowhere for the water to go.

As for your bath curtain. Be sure to leave this open i.e. not bunched up after a shower. If it is drawn to one side then you are keeping the plastic wet and mould will form.

Reseal the bath first. Make sure you cut away all the old sealant. Make sure the edges of the bath are clean before you apply.

Then start leaving the shower curtain open, and the window ajar after showers.

Sure this will go away.

Caporegime
Ventilate and use Dettol Mould and Mildew regularly and you won't have an issue :)

+1

had a problem in a downstairs bedroom with black mould (not all black mould is toxic btw)

sprayed the walls with detool mould and mildew and gave them a good rub with a sponge , left them for 20minutes , washed them off with soapy water and dried with a towel.

started opening the windows in the room for 1-2 hours a day and ive never had a problem since

Associate
I have the extractor fan set with the light, comes on when light on and stays on for few mins after light is switched off.

If you have a window you need to leave it open for longer.

Associate
Extractor and door open, my old place had REALLY bad mould, after bleaching and anti-mould spraying the walls it was only a week until it came back, why? Rather than cleaning it the landlord had painted over a mouldy wall so we had peeling paint to!

Capodecina
Soldato
Extractor and door open, my old place had REALLY bad mould, after bleaching and anti-mould spraying the walls it was only a week until it came back, why? Rather than cleaning it the landlord had painted over a mouldy wall so we had peeling paint to!

Are you living in my building? You don't live in Muswell Hill do you?!

My flat has a really bad mould problem as well. I spent last night and this lunchtime trying to get rid of it. I served notice and have agents coming round for viewings. I've got rid of most of it but not all. I found out that three of the eight flats in the building have served notice at the same time. The guy downstairs from me moved out specifically because of the mould - even a de-humidifier couldn't get rid of it.

It seems that the agents in my building just paint over the mould between new tenancies.

Associate
Are you living in my building? You don't live in Muswell Hill do you?!

My flat has a really bad mould problem as well. I spent last night and this lunchtime trying to get rid of it. I served notice and have agents coming round for viewings. I've got rid of most of it but not all. I found out that three of the eight flats in the building have served notice at the same time. The guy downstairs from me moved out specifically because of the mould - even a de-humidifier couldn't get rid of it.

It seems that the agents in my building just paint over the mould between new tenancies.

Corner of a bedroom after 3 months (cleaned by us spotlessly when we moved in:

IMG00014-20090930-1208.jpg

Condensation mould they say, completely unrelated to the peeling paper and the pointing thats dropped out of the wall on the exterior of course...

Capodecina
Soldato
Corner of a bedroom after 3 months (cleaned by us spotlessly when we moved in:

IMG00014-20090930-1208.jpg

Condensation mould they say, completely unrelated to the peeling paper and the pointing thats dropped out of the wall on the exterior of course...

Wow, that is horrendous. I mostly get mould in the bathroom... but to have that in the bedroom is terrible. Some properties are way more prone to mould than others. The house I'm in was always meant to be a family house but they split it up into several flats, and due to the structure of some of them, they just can't take the lack of ventilation since each one now has a shower. I'm moving out in about three weeks, partially because of this, and because in the winter it will be way too cold to ventilate the place. The flat is ridiculously cold in winter no matter what you do, the heat just escapes from everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom