US: Black Sails - STARZ's new original series, with pirates!

Soldato
I gave up after a few episodes originally but this thread made me give it another go. Half way through season 2 now :)

Nice one. Yes it got off to a very dodgy start, the first few episodes weren't great, hammy acting and weak writing. Then about half way into Season 1 it found it's feet and has just got better and better. Season 2 built to a powerful climax and Season 3 was epic. Shame we have to wait so long for more.

Permabanned
Well finished watching. I actually feel kinda guilty giving up on this so quickly. Each season just got better and better with season 3 being magnificent. Was a real treat to watch two and a half seasons back to back while I've been off work.

When Blackbeard was speaking with Vane on his ship I was thinking 'Blackbeard seems an awful like Titus Pullo from Rome'. Then I saw through the beard ;)

Love the character development. Vane goes from being a total ***** to a being total legend. Bit gutted he's dead though.

Soldato
Does this improve after the first few?

I've seen episodes 1 & 2 and, whilst I like the setting and the plot seems ok, the dialogue and cast are both pretty weak. It's really jarring how they talk - it's all a bit modern (there was even a mention of condoms!) - and none of them look 'right'.

Caporegime
I thought the intro to episode 1 was pretty awesome and worthy of a movie

granted I can sort of see how the first few episodes might make you think this is just going to turn intomeaningless violence and gratuitous nudity with a bit of random lesbo action chucked in too but it does actually settle into a couple of decent enough plot lines

Soldato
Just started to watch this as im after something new to watch while vikings is on a break, only watched the second episode up to now but im enjoying it so far. Loved the part in the second episode with the painter in the street.

Permabanned
I'm about half way through season 3 at the moment and love it. Went to go rate it on IMDb the other day and noticed that i'd originally only given it a 5/10 when it first came out, i only watched the first episode or two back then and dumped it.

Soldato
Any suggestions for something comparable to watch once i get caught up on this? I've already watched the usual such as Rome and Spartacus.

As far as 'period' settings go, I came to this from Vikings (amazing) and Hell on Wheels (really great first two seasons, drops off a bit for S3 and S4). They're both better than Black Sails, for me.

Permabanned
As far as 'period' settings go, I came to this from Vikings (amazing) and Hell on Wheels (really great first two seasons, drops off a bit for S3 and S4). They're both better than Black Sails, for me.

Watched both of them already unfortunately, Hell on wheels starts its final episodes next month.

I've started watching the US shameless which i'm enjoying but I might give AMC's TURИ a try soon.

Soldato
Watched both of them already unfortunately, Hell on wheels starts its final episodes next month.

I've started watching the US shameless which i'm enjoying but I might give AMC's TURИ a try soon.

I enjoyed the first two seasons of Turn. Not as gripping or amusing as Black Sails perhaps, but good in its own right and much better than I expected it would be, with intelligent writing and good character development. Whilst my knowledge of the history isn't that thorough, it seemed to sail a nice line between historical fact and fictional storytelling. I haven't had a chance to catch up with season 3 yet, but reviews seem positive.

Associate
Just finished season 3 glad i stuck with it as it does get a lot better as it goes on gutted vane is dead though.

One things missing for me though..... long john silver, wheres his parrot:p

Black Sails is set 20 or so years before 'Treasure Island' I'm sure in future seasons (if there are future season passed season 4) Silver will get his Parrot ;)

Associate
Just finished binging season 3... awesome! Easily one of my favourite tv shows.

Did anyone watch 2014's 'Crossbones' with John Malkovich as Blackbeard? Might give it a watch??

Back
Top Bottom