US: Black Sails - STARZ's new original series, with pirates!

Associate
Awesome! One of my favourite shows.

However, can't decide whether to watch it weekly or wait and binge it over a few days, my generally preferred method :)

Soldato
Great opener for Season 4, lots of action and plot intrigue. Good to see all the main characters back and in fine form. One of the best things on TV at the moment. It's a shame it's going to be the last season, but hopefully it'll go out on a high.

Soldato
I got half way through S2 if my memory serves me right but it was a struggle, some of the acting was very wooden and the pace was funereal especially at the start of S1, things did improve as time went on but it didn't really grab me. Not a bad show by any means but just didn't grab me the way Vikings did.

I often think decent shows like this get spoiled when you've seen House of Cards, Vikings, Homeland, Stranger things, etc. It's often difficult to come off a 'high' like the latest GOT and then start something like Black Sails. A shame really.

Caporegime
OP
Can someone explain that last battle ship scene..

Why did they raise the white flag instead of attacking the ship with Teach on it? Was it because of her? - Also, why did he just stand there looking at the Governor and allow Teach to be cut like that

Soldato
Can someone explain that last battle ship scene..

Why did they raise the white flag instead of attacking the ship with Teach on it? Was it because of her? - Also, why did he just stand there looking at the Governor and allow Teach to be cut like that

I did think that gave up rather easily, also i would have battered the ship a heck of a lot more (virtually sinking) before boarding to make sure they properly subdued. Also they boarded with a very small crew, the show always showed that when boarding that all the pirates go all in. So yeah all of that was really odd and bothers me quite a bit, it was their battle to lose and they lost it in a very unnecessary and stupid way.

Soldato
Been getting quite into this show now, almost finished season 2.

Was a bit slow to start with - took me 3 attempts to finish the first episode (was half asleep for the first 2 mind). But when the storyline got a move on, it's started to get me hooked.

Caporegime
What the actual!? Just watched episode 3 of season 4 and that has to be one of the most badly written bits of any series ever!

How the hell did they get themselves in that situation? Teach, the mighty, brilliant super clever (we were just told how clever he was in the scene before) gets done over by a tiny ship with a few English soldiers hiding? Why did they not batter it some more or just sink it? Why did no one think "hey maybe there might be a few more soldiers than we think". Why did they send about 6 people to board it. Then, why did they surrender? Surrendering would just likely mean death/hanging for them all anyway so why didn't they just blow it the English ship out of the water.

They made out like it was some clever cunning plan by Rogers, when in actual fact it was the one thing ANY boarding party should be wary of - some soldiers hiding.

I almost want to stop watching it now. That was the most jarring and badly written piece of TV I have ever watched.

Soldato
What the actual!? Just watched episode 3 of season 4 and that has to be one of the most badly written bits of any series ever!

How the hell did they get themselves in that situation? Teach, the mighty, brilliant super clever (we were just told how clever he was in the scene before) gets done over by a tiny ship with a few English soldiers hiding? Why did they not batter it some more or just sink it? Why did no one think "hey maybe there might be a few more soldiers than we think". Why did they send about 6 people to board it. Then, why did they surrender? Surrendering would just likely mean death/hanging for them all anyway so why didn't they just blow it the English ship out of the water.

They made out like it was some clever cunning plan by Rogers, when in actual fact it was the one thing ANY boarding party should be wary of - some soldiers hiding.

I almost want to stop watching it now. That was the most jarring and badly written piece of TV I have ever watched.

Yup, see my post above, it was jarring compared to how intelligent the pirates have always been in the show, it's like they all took stupid pills that morning

Soldato
I couldn't get into this at all when it first came out, I think I got half way through the first episode and binned it! But, after finishing Outlander ( 2 series in a week lol, binge tv) And reading up here that you have to suffer through the first few episodes I thought I would give it another go and its actually bloody good! Just starting on the second series now...

Caporegime
The writing is getting very lazy. Just how many men does Rogers have with him? He had a small group hidden on that sloop after loads got killed by the barrage. Then some of them got killed in the fight with the boarding party, then he leaves half a dozen or so on the sloop with the prisoners.

Then somehow we are supposed to believe that he has enough men to land on the beach and do anything significant!?

lol

Back
Top Bottom