1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screen & Crash - GTX 970 Fault??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sven69, 3 May 2017.

1. Sven69

Associate

Hi Gents,

For the last 2 months I've been plagued with random black screens & outright crashes out of Windows. I initially thought it was my 7 year old PSU, swapped that for a new PSU - Corsair CX 750M (Not the best I know) still had the crashes.

Updated old I5-3570K & GA77 Mobo to current build in my sig, still having the issues.

Getting are now getting more frequent in Squad & Arma3. It seems that the crashes usually happen when GFX card is under particularly heavy load but not always. I've run Furmark and i'm getting the same issues, crashes happen anywhere between 2 -5 minutes of load being applied - Screen goes black & PC just shuts down, then restarts.

I can also hear what I believe is Coil Whine when hit the space bar. Shortly after this I usually get Black Screen. GPU temps are around 70 - 75°C. I have also notice lately that front fan seems to be starting to rattle & stops, you have to flick it with your finger to get it going again. I have noticed as well that just before the Crash I sometimes get what as I can describe as a very mild Eggy Fart smell - (Don't know if that ones Me or the Dog!!)

Does this sound like Zotac GTX 970 card is failing?

2. Plec

Capodecina

Certainly sounds like the gfx card from the symptoms plus you've virtually changed every other major component - so the gfx card is sitting there sticking out like a, well, a bad smell.

The strange smell could be failing capacitors - sounds like rma if it's still under warranty.

3. Sven69

Associate

Hi Plec, yep card is under warranty I believe, got it back in December 2015. I believe Zotac cards have 5 year warranty, unfortunately I didn't buy it from here though. Anybody know what Zotac are like to deal with, is it a UK warranty or Far East?

4. Plec

Capodecina

They do have a 5 year warranty - i think you have to apply for the extended warranty by registering the card with Zotac within 30 days of purchase?

5. Sven69

Associate

I did do that, hopefully should be Ok. Just chatting online now with Zotac

6. Plec

Capodecina

Great - sounds like you're covered. Best of luck.